What's new

Scuttle friendly soaps

I have been a dedicated face latherer for as long as I have been wet shaving but I recently purchased a DB1.5 scuttle. So far I've found many of my soaps are drying out when I lather them in there, even with just warm tap water in the scuttle. Does anyone have any tips for soaps that lather well in scuttles or ways to improve my soap lather?

What are you using now?

I've found the following soaps work great in my scuttle: Tabac, MWF, Proraso. P-160, Valobora, Santa Maria Novella, Musgo Real, and Panna Crema. I'm sure I could get most other well-known brands of soaps and creams to work as well. You may want to spend more time building up a lather base in the scuttle. I used to be a face latherer like you but had to change my technique slightly with the purchase of the scuttle. I load the brush bristles with soap off the puck, and then work the lather in the scuttle bowl using a spinning, pumping motion of the brush. There is a lot of lather in my scuttle bowl by the time I start applying it to the face, and I spend a lot of time working that in and around the beard area. I also start out with a little water, about a tablespoon or more, in the scuttle bowl to help form the lather base. For me, moisture/water is the key to a good lather in the scuttle. Hope this helps.

Don

I have only had lather problems with one soap or cream in my scuttle, and I blame the cream. I regularly use MWF, Mike's, and Irisch Moos in my scuttle.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep working on it. It seems the thicker yogurt style lather I like to make face lathering dries out with most soaps. The more bubbly meringue type does not.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I have not tried all of them, of course, but the only soap of the roughly two dozen I've used or at least sampled that just will not work with a hot scuttle is Mystic Water. I would not even worry about it, just try what you like. If you stumble on the odd one that won't work, PIF or trade it. It won't happen often.

Top Bottom