What's new

Schick Type C Sanitation

Hi, I’m thinking about purchasing a Schick Type C Repeating Razor from the bay. I’ve been looking for one and even posted on the sell and buy sub forum, but no response.

What is the sanitation process for preparing it for use? Do I have I take it apart or can I do an external scrub only?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
There are lots (I mean LOTS) of threads on sanitizing razors....and after reading most of them, ignoring many of them, and ultimately ruining a few of my vintage acquisitions, I have now turned to soaking my "new" razors in a container of warm water with Dawn dishwashing soap. I'll use a soft toothbrush to lightly "scrub" the razor, and then rinse and repeat for as often as my germaphobic/hypochondriac self requires. Don't make the water boiling or scalding (hot tap water is more than sufficient), and don't go nuts with a brush. As to whether you want to take it apart, I did with my "C", but I'm VERY careful about dismantling. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I take pictures and do some research on my razor model to make sure I understand how to put it back together. That said, there is usually someone here who has "been there, done that" that I can call upon to help me out of most situations. I love the "C" -- it's a great shave (I think I'll use mine tonight) -- thanks for reminding of it. :001_smile

There are lots (I mean LOTS) of threads on sanitizing razors....and after reading most of them, ignoring many of them, and ultimately ruining a few of my vintage acquisitions, I have now turned to soaking my "new" razors in a container of warm water with Dawn dishwashing soap. I'll use a soft toothbrush to lightly "scrub" the razor, and then rinse and repeat for as often as my germaphobic/hypochondriac self requires. Don't make the water boiling or scalding (hot tap water is more than sufficient), and don't go nuts with a brush. As to whether you want to take it apart, I did with my "C", but I'm VERY careful about dismantling. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I take pictures and do some research on my razor model to make sure I understand how to put it back together. That said, there is usually someone here who has "been there, done that" that I can call upon to help me out of most situations. I love the "C" -- it's a great shave (I think I'll use mine tonight) -- thanks for reminding of it. :001_smile
Thank you for the info. I’d like to buy one already cleaned and ready to go, but that seems hard to find.

I’m not mechanically inclined. If I take it apart I may never get it back together haha.

So you don’t think I would need to take it apart? External sanitation is enough?
Nope. Just a soak in warm water (NOT BOILING) with Dawn dishsoap as stated above. Then a mild brushing with a soft toothbrush. Then, if you really wanna disinfect it, put it in a barbacide soak for a few minutes. If its good enough for barbars and hair salons to disinfect their equipment, its good enough for home use.

Nope. Just a soak in warm water (NOT BOILING) with Dawn dishsoap as stated above. Then a mild brushing with a soft toothbrush. Then, if you really wanna disinfect it, put it in a barbacide soak for a few minutes. If its good enough for barbars and hair salons to disinfect their equipment, its good enough for home use.
Thank you.

Top Bottom