What's new

Schick Adjustable

Here is an ad from 1969 showing the M1 and 1970 and 1973 showing the M3.
You'll have to open the ads manually due to formatting.

Attachments

• Democrat_and_Chronicle_Sun__Apr_5__1970_rs.jpg
    783.5 KB · Views: 30
  • The_Selma_Times_Journal_Sun__Dec_28__1969_rs.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Albany_Democrat_Herald_Tue__Feb_20__1973_rs.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 29
Looks like I need to correct myself here and also add Appleby missed a Schick adjustable variant. Tenatively I will say the M1v1 was 1964 - 1966 upon further research and had the Schick Adjustable sticker on the handle and the dial sticker had a dot in the center of it in 1964/65 then in 1966 they remove the center dot from the dial sticker and also change the sticker on the handle to Schick Dial.

What that means is regardless of how you want to classify these as M types the ones that say Schick adjustable and have a dot in the center of the dial are 1964 - 1965 and ones that say the same and don't pending how the spring mechnism works are 1966/1970 - 1973. I'll have to update my thread over at TSD to add this.

Here is ads from 1965 and 1966 showing the above info.

Attachments

• Lancaster_Eagle_Gazette_Wed__Jun_15__1966_rs.jpg
    Lancaster_Eagle_Gazette_Wed__Jun_15__1966_rs.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 27
  • The_Kansas_City_Times_Thu__Jun_3__1965_rs.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 9
  • The_News_Thu__May_26__1966_rs.jpg
    The_News_Thu__May_26__1966_rs.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 30

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
That information is the same old outdated stuff.
This has the most current revisions and I don't claim it to be fully correct. I need to still put up the I and J adverts which I have but just haven't gotten around to doing yet. For example that 1976 championship razor you have I need to find some documentation on since I only thought it was produced in 1972 and not also 1976. The 76 one most likely was a Canadian only razor.

and here for just I and J razors. I posted the I and J information here also on B&B but this thread has the most current revisions including a date timeline.
The comprehensive guide I mentioned is more updated than others and is easy to follow. If you look at the L series some of the older time lines are not as complete as @mata_66 minus pictures. I combine it with some of the other timelines you have mentioned and his comes way out front because he was able to use some of all timelines and he can update anytime he wishes and it's a complicated puzzle to figure out for anyone who enjoys this hobby!
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I have 2, a silver color (was filthy when I got it) and a golden (this was almost new). The golden is much better ; I think the other was abused, the head seems to tilt a bit sideways.
Anyway: I do NOT notice much difference in the shave between #'s, tend to start w 5 and finish at the max....can't tell the difference as compared to a Gillette or Merkur adjustable

With the Chinese Schick blades, there's a slight different, in that it's a bit less likely to bite if you get sloppy on the lower numbers, and the efficiency does change between 1 & 8.

Now load up a Schick Twin bonded blade, and settings seem to make a bigger difference. With a Twin blade, I use a lower setting than with one of the yellow carded Schick blades from China.

Sadly disposable and cartridge razors were beginning to be touted as the 'next big thing' when I started shaving in the mid-70s, and I never bought these new. (Sure wish I had, just poor timing, and big time marketing of the new carts).

M4 is a mystery code. It's not a date, but probably a machine, factory or operator code that is meaningless to the consumer. However, the Schick Injector Adjustable razor was made circa 1965-1972, though that is controversial and uncertain.

It's marked in the same place that the M3 and M2 that I have are. I thought that it was a M2 until I looked at it the other day.
Thanks

Top Bottom