What's new

Safe to drink, safe to use

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Maybe you are thinking of isopropyl alcohol, aka rubbing alcohol?

I think you may be right. Someone upthread said that is drinkable alcohol is used, a bittering agent is put in. I won't be chugging Aqua Velva anytime soon :001_biggrin

I totally agree with this ideology. The alcohol used in commercially available aftershaves has been denatured, meaning that it has had Chemicals added to it or has been chemically modified in some way as to render it poisonous or undrinkable.

Read up on the history of bay rum if you want to know about using drinkable spirits to make aftershave products. During prohibition, the retailers couldn't keep enough bay rum on the shelves to satisfy demand. And I'm pretty sure it wasn't because a whole pile of people started wet-shaving all of a sudden.

Would I want to use just straight rum? Probably not, but I agree with others' sentiments that adding some gycerin, spices and maybe some essential oils of some variety to some amber rum or spiced rum would make a wonderful aftershave.

i have a problem with this right now... i have went through ~1/4 of a 1.75liter bottle of vodka and i ain't got the first drop on my cheeks yet....

Top Bottom