What's new

Rooney_Gentleman's Shop

I have what I believe to be the same brush (pictured below) only it is labeled for another shop. This brush is basically a Simpson PJ2 clone, but mine is actually more densely packed than my PJ2.
I think that it is a great brush for the money (I paid $40.00 shipped) and I think that you would be quite happy with it.

Ah Yes..BAD sets in.

SETS in?! Since late November; EJ Med Silvertip, Kent BK8, B&B Finest, Kent BK4...and now this? I still have only one face, which I shave only once a day. What's going on here?! :cursing: I guess the sig line is more than just a Dave Barry joke, eh? :wink:

SETS in?! Since late November; EJ Med Silvertip, Kent BK8, B&B Finest, Kent BK4...and now this? I still have only one face, which I shave only once a day. What's going on here?! :cursing: I guess the sig line is more than just a Dave Barry joke, eh? :wink:

"SETS in"......

Right!!! Or ONSET of SBAD or whatever.................:biggrin:

Hello, Peter. I should have known you couldn't resist chiming in on a brush question! :wink: Do you happen to own this brush? Or have an opinion about it? Would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I do not have this brush in my collection, but the loft should be very similar to the Rooney Style 2 in silvertip; maybe a tad less floppy/flexible, but overall very much the same ie rather flexible, not very densely packed and soft feeling tips.

Peter

Hmmm...Sounds like a BK4 only smaller! This is sounding better by the minute! :biggrin: I love my BK8 and BK4...maybe this is a BK3?? :rolleyes:

Thanks!

FWIW, I have this brush, an GS Rooney made. knot is a bit bigger, maybe 24mm. Well made, a bit floppy, very soft. No complaints. Surprisingly adept at creams and soaps. I tried to sell it a while back with two other brushes in order to pay for the new B&B brush. It was 47 pounds (delivered) in 2005.

I ordered the Gentleman's Shop Rooney today (see above). And since I was there, I also ordered the T&H 1805 ASB which comes with a free tube of 1805 shaving cream. Hey, no add'l shipping charge so what was I supposed to do?! :redface:

If anyone's interested, the T&H thing includes Trafalgar, 1805, Limes and Grafton. Buy the balm and get free cream. Buy cologne and get free shower gel.

http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/Truefitt_Hill_Promotion.html

My Gentleman's Shop Rooney arrived today (ordered 3/28). Actually, yesterday, but all I got then was the USPS notice to pick it up. What an awesome brush! I wish I had a better variety of brushes so I could compare this one to others, but my two Kents (BK4 & 8) and the B&B are so similar, I'm really comparing the Rooney with one (pick one) other brush. I'd have to say the BK8 is the densest feeling of the three, but nowhere near as dense as the Rooney.

This is a totally different brush. First of all, it's the only brush I've owned that offered me the opportunity to see first hand what everyone complains about when they mention dead badgers. Whoa, this brush really smells! Even after lathering with two soaps and three creams (with ZERO hair loss, by the way!), it still smells! Much less now, but it has a ways to go yet. Maybe I should soak it overnight in Bay Rum!

If Kents are supposed to be "floppy" (and I much prefer the term "luxurious"), this brush is anything but! Rather dense, in fact. Not scratchy at all either. In fact, extremely soft. I'd even have to say that the bristles, while much firmer feeling than the Kents or the B&B, feel even softer on my face. Not at all prickly - velvety smooth in fact. Really...a very different brush.

Lather? Oh, yeah! Soaps and creams alike. Very nice!! Have to learn how much water to shake out all over again though. First time I tried lathering with a cream, I had to dump it out and start again - it held much more water than I've gotten used to. (Fortunately, I umm, have several creams )

Almost forgot...specs are:

Knot, 21mm
Overall Height, 105mm
Loft, 49mm
Handle, 56mm
Bloom, 75mm (+/-)

Bottom line, I really like this brush! Especially for $50!! Wanna see? Thought so. Before and after with it's friends, BK4 and B&B Finest.....

For those who know... is this the 'Genuine' or the 'Super' Silvertip? Thanks in advance.

BTW, congrats on the great brush! Any chance for some measurements of loft size?

J

For those who know... is this the 'Genuine' or the 'Super' Silvertip? Thanks in advance.

BTW, congrats on the great brush! Any chance for some measurements of loft size?

J

The description provided by The Gentleman's Shop says...

GS Silver Tip Shaving Brush

Slim, stylish shaving brush, made for us by R A Rooney of London and filled with silver tip grade badger hair. Supplied branded with our Gentleman's Shop logo, this brush represents excellent value.​

That's all I can tell you.

Loft measurements, et al, are in the post ( I know, I know - you just buy the magazines for the pictures! :wink:

You know, I totally missed that loft measurement, and could have sworn there was only knot and total listed. Sigh. Sorry about that.

J

Having visited TGS and owning a couple of Rooneys' I think I can say that it is the same quality of hair that Ronney use in their 'best' brushes, I prefer the 'Super' as I think they give the best 'bang for the buck' so to speak. I find the finest too soft but YMMV. I firmley believe that Rooney still make the best brushes bar none and would recommend them to anyone - I also think that TGS brush is staggeringly good value and knocks the spots off the C&E brush, buy my oh my, what a smell!

I only just saw this thread. I bought one of these brushes a few weeks ago and I have to say it's the best brush I've used to date, coupled with the bargain price it represents a very good deal IMO.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I LOVE this brush! Not sure it loves me though. Made me wonder if I was allergic to badger hair!! :eek: Interestingly, no problem with the Kents or the EJs. I soaked it in vinegar and water, rinsed, then in Borax soln. We'll see. At least the dead badger smell's gone...and doesn't it look great?! :biggrin:

Top Bottom