What's new

Rite of Passage: Shave Den Installation.

SWMBO went for it. I told her I could keep my bathroom much more organized if only I could get some shelves from Ikea...she never guessed that what I really wanted was to take my growing hoard out of hiding from the drawers and under the vanity. This was my reward for installing an entire Shelftrack wall in her craft room and a pegboard in the front closet.

(I'm feeling uber-manly: I even had opportunity to cuss and throw a tool while I was installing these babies.)

Today, I am the lord of my domain. Tomorrow, SWMBO can have that title back. :001_tt2:

$2_Shelves_1.jpg
Top (L to R): Lush Prince (non-lathering cream), Ogallala Bay BR & Orange soap, QCS Cayman sample, Ogallala Bay BR splash, Captain's Choice BR splash sample, Ogallala Bay BR & Sandalwood splash, Le Creuset stoneware soup crock that's serving as my scuttle until I get a real scuttle, GFT Eau de Quinine, QCS Vetiver sample, L'Occitane Vetyver EDT, QCS Celestial Woods sample, Pinaud Clubman.

Bottom (L to R): QCS Basilica sample, AOS unscented oil, QCS Queen Charlotte sample, AOS unscented ASB, tower 1 (all creams, bottom to top: AOS unscented, AOS Sandalwood, QCS Mysore Sandalwood sample), AOS Sandalwood ASB, Henckels Friodur 5/8 1/2 hollow rescaled in olivewood by Jeness, Proraso pre-shave, Proraso cream, Proraso AS lotion, QCS Vostok sample, Tabac cream, Tabac AS splash, QCS Provence sample, tower 2 (all soaps, bottom to top: Tabac, Mama Bear's Rosemary & Mint, Mama Bear's Awakenings, Williams old formula in yet another repurposed piece of Le Creuset stoneware).

$3_DiagShelves_1.jpg
Another angle to give a little perspective. The lower shelf is about chest high. That's a Whipped Dog strop down right.

$1_Countertop_1.jpg
The rest of the goodies, since I know you boys love a show. The glass & aluminum jar is an Ikea "Droppar" filled with 99% rubbing alcohol (pull-off lid has a gasket inside), the brushes are a Parker Safety Razor Silvertip and an Omega Pro 48, the razor is a Merkur 38C currently loaded with a Personna Med (today was my first shave with a Med--could be love).

It ain't much, but it's mine. And I'm going to hold off buying any more product for now...right after those soaps I picked up on BST today come in. And no more hardware, either. Except for a scuttle...and maybe a slant...and one of Neep's brushes...but other than that, no more gear. I'm done for now. Honest.

...but it dawns on me that I haven't yet visited that place that opened up in Georgetown that sells all the Penhaligon's stuff. No. Not going there. Still paying off student loans.

Last edited:
AH! I’m jealous, very well done I must say!

I’m biased but - ahem! - it just isn’t complete without that Slant. Fortunately Christmas is upon us where we all suspend knowledge of existing indebtedness and in the interest of the country in general and the economy in particular...

WE BUYYYY!!!!!:jump:

Very well done. Looking sharp, although you are mighty brave to keep that straight so close to the ledge.

Last edited:
That's nice.

Put a shelf in my own den cabinet yesterday to accomodate some recent AD but it does not look anything CLOSE to yours.

Jealous much.

Nice shelves! Must look into. Remember what Ikea name they were by chance?

Oh, and not nearly enough brushes! You need a whole third shelf just to fill with brushes :)

Nice shelves! Must look into. Remember what Ikea name they were by chance?

They're called "Grundtal". http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30047893/

Oh, and not nearly enough brushes! You need a whole third shelf just to fill with brushes :)

Hehehe...I'll have to install a whole other wall of Shelftrack, probably with a special cutting table, in SWMBO's craft room before I can get away with that. It'll have to wait til the new year ;)

Ha! That is a beautiful set up! I really want some of those shelves so I can display some of my stuff like you have. I recently set up my den too. I made the 3 hour drive to IKEA to get a cabinet and some of those exact same shelves. I got a real nice cabinet, but they were sold out of the shelves. I couldn't believe it. I think it was the only item in the whole place that they were sold out of, and it was the main thing I wanted... oh well. I will get there again sometime. They have a few nice items in that Grundtal lineup. I bought a little stainless steel towel bar too, to hang under my cabinet.

I made the 3 hour drive to IKEA...

That's one heck of a pilgrimage to make. SWMBO would make it fairly regularly, I think, if we had to. We're lucky, though--our local is only about 12 miles away.

I installed the grundtal LED lights under our kitchen cabinets as well as in the curio cabinets of our entertainment center. I like the clean, low-profile, brushed-metal look of that product line. Somewhere else on this forum a few members have said that the grundtal canisters make good shaving soap containers. They're the right size and have threaded tops with clear glass. They're also magnetic, so maybe my next addition will be a metal strip for a few of those as I collect more soaps. I mean, um, "if I were to collect more soaps in the distant future" because, as I wrote earlier, I am not buying any more product.

Top Bottom