What's new

Rite Aid Mustache Grooming Kit

I saw this Mustache Grooming Kit at Rite Aid a few days ago.

I'm going to test out the wax and see how it compares. The wax is made in the USA but there is no brand label name on it.

The scissors are made in Pakistan and actually pretty decent and tight for the cost. I don't trim my mustache since it's an up and coming handlebar but I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

The Chinese comb is thin and cheap compared to my Kent mustache comb but I do like the finer teeth on it. Some days I wish the Kent had more teeth but you can only have teeth so tight when handmade.

$Rite Aid Mustache Kit 1.jpg $Rite Aid Mustache Kit 2.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
My guess is the wax is similar to Clubman. I've had a similar set years ago. I prefer the wider teeth of the Kent. The narrow teeth can pull on the hair sometimes.

I hesitate to say this too loud, but rare, judicial trimming is sometimes needed, so the scissors may see some use.

My guess is the wax is similar to Clubman. I've had a similar set years ago. I prefer the wider teeth of the Kent. The narrow teeth can pull on the hair sometimes.

I hesitate to say this too loud, but rare, judicial trimming is sometimes needed, so the scissors may see some use.

You're most likely right on the comb teeth spacing. I've had the Kent brush pretty much since my first mustache a couple years ago and the only other comb I've tried was the one that comes with the Clubman wax and that is waay to narrow.

I'm sure I'll need to do the occasional small trimming to balance things in a couple months. Since I'm only 2 months in right now I'm just kinda "going with it" hah and dealing with the slightly all over hair lengths right now. I mainly pluck any hairs that refuse to cooperate.

I took a couple comparison shots for the Rite Aid wax vs Clubman.

They are both "Neutral" colored. The Clubman wax is more dense and paste looking while the Rite Aid has a slightly smoother look to it. The Rite Aid also has a lot less scent than the Clubman does.
$Rite Aid Mustache Kit 3.jpg

When I did a tap test with my fingertip the Clubman on the left had only a little lift like I would expect in a normal paste wax. The Rite Aid is a lot more sticky and acts much more like a hair glue.
$Rite Aid Mustache Kit 4.jpg

Tomorrow I will give it a try and see how it's hold is and how clear it dries. I will also see if any flaking occurs throughout the day.

I did try this wax out for a couple days last month. I found that it had decent hold but not great. I decided to stop using it though because it never dried fully clear and gave my mustache a slightly off white tinted look.

Since it didn't dry fully clear it left the hair looking like they had thick product on them, which is not a good look.. It also looked a bit flaky by the end of the day.

Sometimes generics are good and sometimes they are failed imitations, in this case I believe it was the latter.

Top Bottom