What's new

RIP Don Wilson of the Ventures

RIP Don. Interesting in the film clip that Nokie Edwards plays bass but later switched to lead guitar. A long time after that, he had a role in the TV series Deadwood. I was a Ventures fan

RIP Don. Interesting in the film clip that Nokie Edwards plays bass but later switched to lead guitar. A long time after that, he had a role in the TV series Deadwood. I was a Ventures fan
Great eye. The internet tells me that is exactly what happened. I do not know which is more unusual--switch from bass to lead, or from lead to bass. Amazing they did that while a popular group.

My favorite band in my early teen years. Walk Don't Run was the first LP I can remember buying. Walk Don't Run and Perfidia are still on my favorite oldies playlist.

Wow, I had forgotten about Perfidia. Great tune. Great illustration of that timeless lead, rhythm, bass, and drums attack. Very much The Ventures sounds. Who was playing lead and who was playing bass on it, I wonder? Rhythm very prominent on this cut.

I loved The Ventures. They are getting a lot of credit for the origination of their twangy, essentially Fender guitar sound. I tend to think of it as pretty close to west coast surf music, and various sources refer to The Ventures as surf rock and credit Walk Don't Run as the first surf music single. But Dick Dale, "king of the surf guitar," was right there around the same time, as I recall. Also, it seems to me that Hank Marvin as a part of The Shadows, Cliff Richards' back up band, was doing very similar stuff in England at the same time The Ventures were hugely popular. So I find myself with mixed feelings about this credit for origination! That does not take away from how great they were!

For that matter, the drums seem really important to their sound. Yet they had a number of different drummers and the drummers do not seem to get much mention.

Funny how they seemed to have relationships with other guitar makers, who put out special Ventures editions, but when the contracts ran out they always came back to Fender, which put out its own special editions at some point.

Top Bottom