What's new

Rinsing Razor

So, when shaving, I always rinse under running water in between strokes. The other day my sink wouldn't drank so just used the water in the sink to swish the razor in to rinse. For some reason I feel I had a better shave this way. Never thought that would make a difference so got me thinking as to how many rinse under the faucet and rinse in a sink of water and if there truly is a difference. Thoughts?

I rinse after each pass to get the lather off... I feel it’s a little more sanitary than re-dipping in a sink of water, but that’s just me. Interesting about the better shave. Was it the same temperature water?

I rinse after each pass to get the lather off... I feel it’s a little more sanitary than re-dipping in a sink of water, but that’s just me. Interesting about the better shave. Was it the same temperature water?
Same temp, just I don't know, felt like it was a smoother shave and the hairs cut better, though I never had any issues with rinsing under the faucet. Was just an interesting observation.

And I am with you regarding the sanitary thing, being OCD I cringed when I did it but again seemed like a better shave. Probably the razor was being cleaned better between passes as opposed to under running water <shrug>.

I backflush the razor under running water. I use to swish the razor in a sink of water but, that was causing shave cream and water to get pushed into the threads of the handle. With a ZAMAK razor head (R89), keeping the threads clean in more important.

So, when shaving, I always rinse under running water in between strokes. The other day my sink wouldn't drank so just used the water in the sink to swish the razor in to rinse. For some reason I feel I had a better shave this way. Never thought that would make a difference so got me thinking as to how many rinse under the faucet and rinse in a sink of water and if there truly is a difference. Thoughts?
I would guess that the soap mixing into the water might cause the shave to feel smoother.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
At home i fill the sink and rinse the pre shave off my hands in the water thus i believe creating a special mixture of magic water to rinse my razor in.

And I am with you regarding the sanitary thing, being OCD I cringed when I did it but again seemed like a better shave. Probably the razor was being cleaned better between passes as opposed to under running water <shrug>.
I wouldn't worry about rinsing in a sink filled with warm water as long as the sink is clean. After you shave you still rinse your razor under the tap so it's cleaned of soap, and whiskers. My dad shaved this way forever, plus he warmed up his can of Gillette Foamy in the sink so that he would have warm lather. In the end he saved hot water and had a great shave with his 1955 Gillette Flaretip.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

It makes no difference or there is no reason why it would. This is not to discredit your experience. Human attribution theory is interesting.

I used to use a sink full until we moved to an apartment with terrible drainage. The sink fills up when running either the cold or hot alone and takes forever to drain when full, so now I just rinse. I don’t notice any measurable difference in shave quality but the changing of muscle memory is taking a while.

I have tried both but found the sink needed to be cleaned with Scrubbing Bubbles after every shave if I dipped the razor in standing water. My beard is rather thick and the stubble stuck to the sink.

I tried both and didn't notice a difference.

I didn't like the way the dunking got the soapy hairy slurry up into the shaft of my TTOs.

I wonder, though, if the soap water put a slick thin film on your razor head? Made it slicker? That's the only thing I can think of.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I always fill the sink. and jiggle the razor w/ some verocity. i think this cleans it better between strokes.
and i don't like turning the faucet on and off . i tried that but i don't think the running water has all that much force to do a good job of rinsing out the muck.
I do disassemble the razor and blow out the threads and stand it thread side down to let that hole dry out rather than let that small amount of water that IS in there dry.:shaving:

I rinse off between strokes in the sink, then under the running tap after the shave when I clean my razor. I don't think it makes a bit of difference.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I just fill the sink with hot tap water, drop in the razor and the brush. Rinse my face in the hot water and then use soap to wash my face in the same water. I then load the brush with soap and lather, pick up the razor and shave. I swish the razor in the water to rinse it between strokes. I then rinse my face in the sink water, lather up and round two. At the end of round two I rinse my face in the sink water and load up for round three. At the end of round three I then let out the sink water, rinse all instruments in running tap water and then rinse my face in cold water. @Rhody is correct. The sink water is magic.

With a DE, water in the sink; with a straight I use running water. I am afraid that I will damage the edge if I wave it around in the sink, and I also find that the running water gets the thicker foam off the straight.

I only rinse when I’m done, otherwise I swish in a partially filled sink. I’ve never quantified it, but I feel that repeated rinsing will use more (waste) water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I rinse in the sink because my razor can get clogged. When I'm done I open it and rinse razor and blade under the faucet, then spray with alcohol so it dries faster - cuts down on rust and keeps the blade sharper. It's not the most hygienic practice, but I also spritz the sink with alcohol before I start to at least try to cut down on some of the germs.

Top Bottom