What's new

Revisiting cartridges

I don't expect to keep my Sensor handle after this trip. If I drive, I'll bring a DE. I'm figuring most of the time I fly, either (1) it'll just be for a day or 2 and I won't need to shave, or (2) it'll be for long enough that I have to check a bag and can pack a tuck of blades. If I'm ever in that 3-4 day range where I'll have to shave but not check a bag, I guess I'll hit a drug store and buy a disposable or a tuck of KCG blades.
Sending an envelope with a blade or two to your hotel is fun. They think you're pretty important to have mail waiting for you when you check in.

Sending an envelope with a blade or two to your hotel is fun. They think you're pretty important to have mail waiting for you when you check in.
ROFL, I'll have to try that. Never occurred to me that they'd keep mail for a future guest, but it makes sense. Worst case, I'm out postage and a couple of $.10 blades.

I have tried proraso foam, was not too bad, don't know if you would class that as expensive.
Proraso foam is said to be good enough for a can (haven't used it myself) but it is still a foam. Those gels like that orange can Fusion by Gillette used to be good for cartridge shaving but I think that's because usual one quick pass and go.

Attachments

• 93600d10648eb169dff6a3a903ec031c--mmf400x400.jpg
    93600d10648eb169dff6a3a903ec031c--mmf400x400.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
It's now been 2 weeks with my last Sensor Excel cartridge and leftover canned gel. Further observations:
  • Shaving XTG instead of WTG, I get a CCS+. (WTG is CCS-) My face feels like I've come to expect about 12 hours or so after a DE shave. (18-24 hours WTG.)
  • I actually gave myself a couple of weepers over 4-5 days shaving XTG, shaving too quickly/carelessly, plus the cart probably starting to dull. I also noted some minor irritation after a few days in a row, so I went back to just WTG.
  • Either way (WTG or XTG), I felt like I needed to shave every day. With a DE, it's about every other day. I do enjoy my DE shaves, but sometimes get frustrated with the time it takes as I usually have other things I need to be getting to. I need to keep in mind that it's not THAT much longer overall, since I can shave half as often.
  • 2 weeks ago, the canned gel felt about 1/4 full. Now, it somehow still feels about 1/4 full. I don't remember it ever hanging on this long, but now that I want to be rid of it, it refuses to die. I'm going to use my regular gear for Shark Week, but I'm going to have to 3017 this stuff after that, I don't want to take it on another trip!

I work on board the ship, so I travel 4 times per year, minimum, and I always have a check in suticase, so all my razors and soaps are there. If I travel somwhere I also carry a check in suticase...
In short, I never travel light...
After epifany of DE Razors, i REFUSE to even look at cartrage razors...all the horor of acne, ingrown hair, shreaded face, 3 days of beard growth, that slime from the srtip, and shocking price...🤮

I am back to regular business travel as well and typically choose to carry on luggage so taking a travel DE is not an option.

I was using a Sensor set up, but was getting sub par results with it. Switched to (gasp!) a Gillette Fusion with hand-applied Speick Cream and, with a 2-pass shave, get excellent results. The shave is tactilely unsatisfying - does not feel nearly as nice as a smooth single blade across the face. But, I cannot argue with the results at all. I was never one to get ingrown whiskers nor do I have very sensitive skin. And since I seem to be in more of a rush while on the road, getting the whole thing done in 5 minutes is kinda nice. Finally, with some simple stropping, I can get enough life out of a blade that the cost is actually not that bad.

Top Bottom