What's new

Restaurant Prices

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
BBQ Brisket $20 per pound.
Oysters on the half shell $24.99.
Hamburgers $10 bucks
Soup and Salad $8.99 at the nasty buffet.
Breakfast taco $5.99.

The price of gas is down to 1.49 per gallon.

...I'll just eat gas.

Why hasn't the reduced price in gas been reflected in food prices?

Last edited:
I really remember gas starting its steady incline in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina. Up to that point it had been less than $2/gallon for the whole time I'd been driving (since 1994). Yes, it brought the price of goods up because it cost more to transport everything but sadly, as you can see, those prices lock in or increase and never go back down even when gas is back to 1990's levels. They do it because they can, I suppose. The price of even a value meal at McDonald's, Burger King, etc. is off the charts.

Maybe at national chains and franchises. I'm only seeing pretty darn reasonable prices at the local places we tend to eat. I avoid Applebees, Ruby Tuesdays, Beef Obradys, Olive Garden etc.

eating meals out is a "luxury"

Very few people "need" to eat meals out.

Sure if you are traveling or homeless you have no other option.

The price of prepared food takes into account how lazy you are (do I really want to open that box of capt'n crunch or do I go out for a pizza).

We have not eaten a meal out in the past 2 years which is the last time we traveled and then I insisted on local cuisine (smoked white fish in MI, smoked pork in St. Louis, Cajun in LA.... you get the picture). Most of the meals we ate during our 2 month travel I cooked in our RV and I don't mean TV dinners either. Home food cooked on the road. My travel set of pans, knives, and spices would put most home kitchens to shame.

I apprenticed in a nice 1 star as well as worked in a hospital kitchen so I know how to handle food and how good (and bad) food is prepared.

With the exception of local food that is regional I have rarely been satisfied with what I have been served. I rarely complain. Once some bozo thought horse radish went into stroganoff but other than that inedible mess I just buck up and choke it down as we are usually taken out as guests of our friends and I don't want to cause a fuss about something as necessary as food.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My wife's co-work eats out for all meals. Very little cooking at home other than a pop-tart. She is constantly sick.

My wife's co-work eats out for all meals. Very little cooking at home other than a pop-tart. She is constantly sick.

One of our neighbors passed away late last year. She had her home designed and built for her in the 1950's by one of the architect professors at the university.

It had no kitchen. Honestly. Not even a room that could have been made into a kitchen. It did have a wet bar though.

I was told that all of her meals where eaten out or she had events catered.

The house has been for sale for a while now and I wonder what any new owner will do if they want to have more than cold cereal or bologna sandwiches at home

The price of gas is being depressed by OPEC in order to destabilize competitive fuel sources and make it unprofitable to use them. Food prices went up with the gas prices and, until there is a reason to lower them, they will never come down. Now wages, on the other hand, have remained stagnant. This is my online political commentary for the month.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
One of our neighbors passed away late last year. She had her home designed and built for her in the 1950's by one of the architect professors at the university.

It had no kitchen. Honestly. Not even a room that could have been made into a kitchen. It did have a wet bar though.

I was told that all of her meals where eaten out or she had events catered.

The house has been for sale for a while now and I wonder what any new owner will do if they want to have more than cold cereal or bologna sandwiches at home

This house would be perfect for my wife's co-worker.

In Canada, on the year, vegetables prices are up 18% and fruits up 12%, beef is insane. Cauliflower when i could find someone selling them back in January were $9 per head, yesterday bought one for $4. In the summer when local you can get them for $1. Restaurant prices if anything aren't going anywhere but up.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
In Canada, on the year, vegetables prices are up 18% and fruits up 12%, beef is insane. Cauliflower when i could find someone selling them back in January were $9 per head, yesterday bought one for $4. In the summer when local you can get them for $1. Restaurant prices if anything aren't going anywhere but up.
dave

The rib eyes I bought last week were $13.50 a pound- up about a buck and a half since the last time I had them.

Huge drought in California has a lot of stuff up and staying up. A case of tomatoes in the summer is $12, now it is $50... Fees crops were affected as well so beef, pork and chicken. We're up. Beef is going to go down slightly but you won't notice much. Bird flu wiped out a lot of Poultry. Turkeys are going to be high this Thanksgiving.

A lot of companies ( like Hormel with pork processing) try to predict the rise and falls and average it out that way.

The price of gas is being depressed by OPEC in order to destabilize competitive fuel sources and make it unprofitable to use them. Food prices went up with the gas prices and, until there is a reason to lower them, they will never come down. Now wages, on the other hand, have remained stagnant. This is my online political commentary for the month.

This is says it all...