What's new

Resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Resolved: I will not question anyone’s choice to spend as much money as they wish on any shaving product.

Yesterday I asked why anyone would spend $350 on an adjustable Blackland razor when there are excellent vintage adjustable razors available for much less. This brought quite a few negative responses, including accusations of trolling. It brought a negative reaction from Shane from Blacklands Razors. My question simply asked why; it did not disparage any person or product. I have observed this phenomenon before.

I should be able to ask questions, render advice or express opinions without being met with rancor, personal attack or accusations of trolling. Sadly, this is not the reality.

I do not wish to be divisive or harmful in any degree to B&B. So I will make the resolve with which I began this post. But I will continue to advocate for less expensive shaving options.

My money is alway been money I earned, or once in grate while small amount were gifted.

How I choose to spend my money was on me, sometime I made bad choice, other time good choice.

My grandfather before his death taught me choice between need, and want.

Today I do spend on want frequently, but always shop for BEST DEAL on same item.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Just speaking for myself, your opinion is wholly valid, it seems you've found what works for you.

I just found that you often expressed your opinion in threads where it wasn't necessarily on topic. For that reason people can interpret your opinion in a more negative light*.

Edit: *or I should say the motivation for sharing your opinion.

Internet chat boards are a weird mixture. There are plenty of fine folks who simply want to chat over their common interests, but there’s also the unregulated cesspool of trolls, fanboys, apologists, and people who simply like to stir the pot.

I don’t think anything you said was inflammatory. In fact, what makes me scratch my head is the fanboy mentality of people sticking up for vendors in some attempt to get noticed. Unless they are stock owners or investors, I don’t understand why people feel the need to get noticed by vendors. I don’t know if they expect a discount or free product in return, but the fanboys and apologists are an interesting lot. It reminds me a lot of people directly tweeting celebrities in some attempt for a reply or acknowledgment to validate something that they crave. When it comes to products, our wallets are our voting ballots. There’s no need for fanboys and vendors to pile on together and criticize those who don’t find the same virtue in some product in a highly competitive market space. That leads me to my last point. I’m generally put off by vendors who do more than simply advertise a product or service on a chat board or have friendly off topic conversations with other members. Once they move beyond simple Q&A of their products and get into defensive mode over decisions to not buy their product, I take mental notes that further influence my wallet ballots.

I like RazoRock razors a lot and I post about how they give me good shaves and I enjoy using them. However, I don’t feel the need to attack those who criticize Italian Barber or question others’ decisions not to buy RazoRock razors. To do so would seem quite ridiculous to me.

Last edited:
Resolved: I will not question anyone’s choice to spend as much money as they wish on any shaving product.

Yesterday I asked why anyone would spend $350 on an adjustable Blackland razor when there are excellent vintage adjustable razors available for much less. This brought quite a few negative responses, including accusations of trolling. It brought a negative reaction from Shane from Blacklands Razors. My question simply asked why; it did not disparage any person or product. I have observed this phenomenon before.

I should be able to ask questions, render advice or express opinions without being met with rancor, personal attack or accusations of trolling. Sadly, this is not the reality.

I do not wish to be divisive or harmful in any degree to B&B. So I will make the resolve with which I began this post. But I will continue to advocate for less expensive shaving options.

Yeah, you stepped in it. 😄

I agree with your take on the uber-expensive razors, and I agree that the $5 vintage razors are very capable (and generally my preference).

I guess the issue is the perception of the appropriate place and time. Guys buying (and selling) $600 razors don't want to hear it, especially when they are revelling in the echo-chamber that is the thread professing/validating their love.

The truth hurts?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
For anyone that wants to get into back and forth about choices that others make i’ll put up the same warning I did in the other thread.

Keep the discussions gentlemanly or the thread gets locked.

If you don’t want to see what another member posts click on their name/avatar and hit “ignore.”

That is all.

Bahh. Don't worry about it Q.

Come over to the shed later where I will be reviewing a couple of deeply unfashionable but priceless vintages just for jollies, for the more discerning Gentleman. Hint. "Priceless" does not mean financial value per se.

Bring your own beer.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I think there are people who like to stir the pot sometimes, it has an outcome…consequences. I like to do it myself from time to time. A little stir here, a little stir there and see what you get. Things can go from simmer to boil-over in a hurry.

Good on you, that's a helpful perspective to take. I try to do the same, but sometimes I fail.

Yesterday I asked why anyone would spend $350 on an adjustable Blackland razor when there are excellent vintage adjustable razors available for much less.

If you are really asking the question and really want to hear answers, here is mine - because I have tried those vintage adjustable razors and they do not work well at all on my face. Unfortunately for my wallet, one more expensive modern adjustable works much better on my face. That is just my face.

I do not wish to play the victim. I have merely resolved to not ask that question.

As far as appropriateness of venue to ask the question, in my experience on B&B there is no appropriate venue to do anything but echo the love of a fanboy for his favored product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in The Day, in a different time, in a different place, I was known as someone who courted controversy (politics, mainly). I'm not in that place anymore, at least not here. I like the camaraderie of the shaving community, from different nations using different razors, blades, soaps, all of us chasing a good shave whether it's a $10 vintage Tech found on eBay or a $350 titanium razor. I personally don't care. To each their own and it's all good. I might spring for a Blackland or Rex Ambassador someday. I certainly enjoy reading reviews or watching vids of those who own those high-end products. I also appreciate vintage razors and own several myself.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I do not wish to play the victim. I have merely resolved to not ask that question.

As far as appropriateness of venue to ask the question, in my experience on B&B there is no appropriate venue to do anything but echo the love of a fanboy for his favored product. They are a touchy lot.
I don’t think you were echoing the love of a fanboy when you started the thread Straight Razor Shavers a while back. You found a venue to express your opinion questioning the use of straight razors, the favoured razor of some here. The difference perhaps is that you started that thread giving your opinion and asking a question. It was provoking and brought forth many pages of interesting discussion and opinions. I weighed in on my preferences also. If you’re going to step into the ring, be prepared to take some hits.

Many of us are hobbyists and the shave is a byproduct of the hobby. Many hobbyists like to experiment and try new products at the bottom of the rainbow. They may be antiques or leading high end offerings. From your previous posts you are a true minimalist in the very low affordable bracket of offerings. Bath tub soap being an example. I don’t mean that as a criticism but a critique of your minimalist take on shaving. I also have leaned towards minimalism from carts to now De shaving. With DE shaving more choices and possibilities to not only improve my shaves but to take them to the highest efficiency and comfort possible. It took me a few years of trial and errors. Quite a few razors, soaps, brushes to find the most efficient and comfortable to accomplish this. Finding my final four and my pre and post shave routine has always been to control and improve comfort having a very sensitive skin. Basically it took me there plus years to finally lock into equipment and products that delivered the most comfortable irritation free shave. I am a minimalist once again. I am also locked into exclusive SV products. Not because they are expensive. They work better for me. They deliver luxurious shaves with very high skin comfort. Yes I used Vito’s shave soap exclusively for over a year. I have and do know what many entry or affordable products will deliver in efficiency and comfort. Some men may not feel, or appreciate the difference. All of us have different skins and beards to deal with. I’m glad there are products to accommodate specific needs to shavers comfort. I know you won’t approve of my choices for my minimalist path. I believe or suspect your opinion will be based on cost, notwithstanding an appreciation or understanding of shavers with specific problems that shavers have.

I hope I haven’t offended you with my opinions or judgements on your position Q. I do enjoy your posts. I hope you find some value in my position.

IMG_0568.jpeg

Happy Shaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom