What's new

Resetting edge.

So, a razor with a bevel and edge set on a convex stone can be later altered to be honed on a conventional flat stone...yes?

I would take the razor back to bevel set if I was not the person who honed it on the convex stone. A properly honed edge on a convex stone should not be different than one properly honed on a flat stone. Just my take on it.

I really am not in the market to replace all my flat stones, with which I am very comfortable. Question would be...It‘s now time for a sharpening. Will my trusty set of Naniwa SS stones or LaVeinette coticule (both very flat) do the job properly?

I really am not in the market to replace all my flat stones, with which I am very comfortable. Question would be...It‘s now time for a sharpening. Will my trusty set of Naniwa SS stones or LaVeinette coticule (both very flat) do the job properly?

What convexed hone based straight do you have?

I would take the razor back to bevel set if I was not the person who honed it on the convex stone. A properly honed edge on a convex stone should not be different than one properly honed on a flat stone. Just my take on it.

While i agree the sides should come together at a point along the edge, i think there are definitely different aspects to a flat vs concave edge. How much of a difference ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@global_dev
Le Grelot 6/8. This blade was honed by Jarrod at TSS on whatever he uses. I’m sure it’s gonna be a killer edge. Just do not want to learn new tricks with new toys.

Last edited:
For the most part you should be O.K. but I have run into two very warped spines one needed a stone no wider than 35mm and the most warped needed a 30mm stone or a convexed stone to reach the middle of the concaved side of the spine and corresponding edge. It is rare IMO but they are out there.

@global_dev
Le Grelot 6/8. This blade was honed by Jarrod at TSS on whatever he uses. I’m sure it’s gonna be a killer edge. Just do not want to learn new tricks with new toys.

so I thought about this the other day, wondering what folks do when faced with this issue and I think the answer, typically, is gonna be move back down and bring it back up.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Acmemfg give your Le Grelot a sharpie test on a flat whetstone and see were it's making contact. That should tell you a lot about what is needed to refresh the edge.

I would lightly kill edge on glass, very very lightly. The 3k naniwa would probably be perfect to bring edge back to cutting hairs then normal rotation. 5k naniwa will probably work as well I don't think it would take too much time. Just watch the bevel until it all matches

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Good advice all. Many thanks.
Once you get the edge to where you want it, keep it that way with a diamond pasted balsa strop or three. It will then never need resetting/refreshing again. You can read all about it here:

Yes the stones will work. Blade geometry/straightness is another story, yet good technique (rolling xstrokes) and understanding of challenges should not cause you any problems. Jarrod’s edge should be good for a long, long time if stropped correctly and regularly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom