What's new

Removing Silver Tarnish - Should I?

I recently purchased (I should receive it on Monday) a very old and quite rare Gillette sterling silver razor. It is a beautiful razor but the silver does have a lot of tarnish on it. Would the removal of this oxidized coating render the razor less valuable? While cleaning silver coins is always a bad idea, I'm not so sure this applies to vintage razors. Any input would be appreciated.

The washing soda/aluminum foil trick is a way to reverse tarnish; it's non abrasive. Some here have seen fantastic results from simply doing that and washing the razor well.

Remember. It's a tool for use - it's not like a coin, where every minor scratch is going to be scrutinized by a dealer. If you're going to use it, you might want it really shiny. if you're just going to put it in a box, then wash it up and put it in a box, because you're not really going to stare at it much :)

I have several genuine silver razors, and I polish them once or twice per year with a flannel cloth and a quality professional silver cleaner, a type of cleaner available at any well stocked hardware store.

When I do that the gray silver becomes white silver, almost a snow white. Beautiful! It's easy and it take only a few minutes per razor.

Works for me. BTW my silver razors include a 1909 ABC Old Type, several Gillette Old Types, and a 1921 New Improved. They all were advertised as being "triple plated."

I have several genuine silver razors, and I polish them once or twice per year with a flannel cloth and a quality professional silver cleaner, a type of cleaner available at any well stocked hardware store.

When I do that the gray silver becomes white silver, almost a snow white. Beautiful! It's easy and it take only a few minutes per razor.

Works for me. BTW my silver razors include a 1909 ABC Old Type, several Gillette Old Types, and a 1921 New Improved. They all were advertised as being "triple plated."

I don't think the Sterling razors are plated, they're solid silver, not talking about a standard production razor. The baking soda/aluminum foil method should be used on plated and solid silver razors.

I recently purchased (I should receive it on Monday) a very old and quite rare Gillette sterling silver razor.
Did you get the Gorham earlier this week on eBay? If you did, that's one rare and sought-after razor, and you should leave it with all it's original patina to maintain it's value.

If you bought a run-of-the-mill "rare" silver razor like an ABC, do whatever you want - it'll never be worth more than a few hundred dollars, so no risk of defacing the Mona Lisa.

Personally, I never polish razors with patina unless they're really damaged. They have character that tells a story. Polishing off the patina erases that history and screws up the razor's karma.

The answer to your question is, what do you want. I prefer mine polished, it is a 1909 ABC pocket edition. Some will say yes, others will say no. It is your razor, how do you want it to look? I believe that there is no right or wrong. As previously stated, it is not a coin, it is an instrument that should be used.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I think I'm going to wait till I receive the razor to decide what I'm going to do as far as a cleaning goes.

The razor is a single ring and the serial number on the barrel dates it to 1906. It is stamped 'Sterling Silver' twice on the barrel and twice on the head. I have seen one other example dated to 1907, though I'm not sure how many of these are actually in existence.

Thanks once again. I'll post some photos when I have it in hand.

I have had several silver razors and I polished them with the foil/ baking soda method. For me I use razors rather than collect them so a clean shiny razor for me is something I prefer.

I recently purchased (I should receive it on Monday) a very old and quite rare Gillette sterling silver razor. It is a beautiful razor but the silver does have a lot of tarnish on it. Would the removal of this oxidized coating render the razor less valuable? While cleaning silver coins is always a bad idea, I'm not so sure this applies to vintage razors. Any input would be appreciated.

I would polish it. :001_cool:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Another vote to leave it. I haven't seen it, but if it's got a nice patina (shows use and not just overall tarnish) that can be a desirable enhancement. Anyone can have have a shiny, polished razor but a hundred years of rich patina is something some collectors (myself included) find interesting and can't be easily put back. A little silver tarnish won't diminish the quality of your occasional shave.

But, like above -- it's yours, do what you want.

I use the aluminum and soda trick. Do it a couple of times then polish with silver polish. It will be beautiful. But ....
If you want to maintain an antique look, then just polish it and leave tarnish in the crooks and cracks.

IMG_0165.JPG
Well, the razor arrived today and the patina is really quite beautiful. I think I'm gong to leave it just the way it is.... maybe work on adding some patina of my own. I'm going to post pictures in another thread where I hope to find out more information on this great little piece of history, but here's one just to show you what I mean.

Very nice. I wouldn't call that badly tarnished at all. If you do polish it, I'd suggest using a polishing cloth. That'll polish the top, and leave the underlying crevice patina intact.

Nice razor and a good decision about polishing! As I said earlier just a light once over once or twice a year with a tiny bit of professional silver cleaner and a soft flannel rag would be perfect.

Well, the razor arrived today and the patina is really quite beautiful. I think I'm gong to leave it just the way it is.... maybe work on adding some patina of my own
That's the Gorham was referring to in my original reply to you. They're one of the rarest and hardest to find Gillettes.

At the risk of offending the shiny razor fans here, I would *never* polish that razor - that's like buying an old racing Cobra signed by the driver and painting over it.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
At the risk of offending the shiny razor fans here, I would *never* polish that razor - that's like buying an old racing Cobra signed by the driver and painting over it.

Amen to that!

After seeing the pics I have to say I stand by my original post to leave it be.

Top Bottom