What's new

Reformulated? (Taylors/Trumpers/DR Harris)

Why were they reformulated if they were do great to begin with?

They are still great. Most oldschoolers(no pun intended:tongue: ) have used the old formulations and gotten used to them. That's what all the noise is about. For people like me just beginning with the new formulations don't have the old to compare with. Still i think products by Trumper and Taylor are superb eventhough i have my comments about them as well but that's for a different thread.:tongue_sm

Taylor claims they were reformulated to meet new EU regulations. The other manufacturers claim they haven't reformulated, but nonetheless their creams have mysteriously morphed into something very similar to the new reformulated Taylor creams. The new creams don't shave as well, don't lather as well, and take a lot more cream to get what lather they do produce.

AFAIK the only English brand left unreformulated is Truefitt&Hill, but that's unlikely to last. Maybe the Penhaligon's cream is still the same, I don't use it so I don't know. I'm more of a soap guy, and I just ordered 5 pucks each of Penhaligon and Harris soaps to be safe.

Uhhh... I doubt it's a specific "Shaving Cream Regulation No. 5504.c06", but probably more along the lines of certain ingredients that manufactuers can't use across the spectrum because it causes cancer or something...

Wasn't there a thread a couple weeks back about bad ingredients in our soaps?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The EU regulates shaving soap ingredients? Wow, that is some extreme bureaucracy!

I'm sure some of our British members could chip in with a story or two! (I seem to remember EU regulations ending the traditional English banger, but that may have been an episode of Yes, Minister!)

Uhhh... I doubt it's a specific "Shaving Cream Regulation No. 5504.c06", but probably more along the lines of certain ingredients that manufactuers can't use across the spectrum because it causes cancer or something...

I'm sure you're right -- it would appear that it all falls under the EU Cosmetics Directive, 76/768/EEC, as amended. But I wouldn't terribly surprised if there was a Sub-Ministry of Shaving Products located in a basement somewhere in Belgium :biggrin:

Could it e that they changed where the cream is made or who makes them? That could have a huge impact on batches of cosmetic products in any line.

Top Bottom