What's new

Red spots on the neck

I know this is a well discussed topic.

I use a Wardonia razor which is incredibly smooth. I have a Rockwell 6s which is smooth also. I have all types of brushes.

However I can't get rid of red spots on Adam's apple area. I am changing blades but no improvement. The thing is that the shave is so smooth, but red spots do appear under the skin.

Any hint?

Could be a number of issues, simplest explanation is probably due to the thinness of the skin around the Adam’s apple. I find that if I use the same amount of pressure here as I do on the rest of my face I will almost certainly end up getting at least a few cuts here. If this is the culprit I’d say to back off the pressure on the blade and see if that works

Otherwise I’d say it’s due to ingrown hairs that haven’t yet surfaced, in which case it’s probably best to take a breakfrom shaving for a fewdays to see if they emerge

The problem area of my neck that usually gets those red dots have some hairs that grow north to south, and some hairs that grow south to north. It's impossible to truely follow a grain pattern and not aggravate something without an aggressive razor + sharp blade (better yet a SR). Perhaps your problem can be similar?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I use to have that problem, then I discover straight razor shaving.

I know this is a well discussed topic.

I use a Wardonia razor which is incredibly smooth. I have a Rockwell 6s which is smooth also. I have all types of brushes.

However I can't get rid of red spots on Adam's apple area. I am changing blades but no improvement. The thing is that the shave is so smooth, but red spots do appear under the skin.

Any hint?

many of those issues might be solved with better prep.
i use a generous pre-shave face-lather with glycerin soap, then light rinse before applying regular shave soap.
leaves a nice slick layer over skin.

many of those issues might be solved with better prep.
i use a generous pre-shave face-lather with glycerin soap, then light rinse before applying regular shave soap.
leaves a nice slick layer over skin.
I use Proraso actually. I will increase the amount.

I had them frequently w/ a cart. but I knew no better and was just plowing through it.
With my DE and an honest shot at face mapping (south from jawline to adams apple area, north from neck to adams apple on a WTG pass) it markedly cleared up, enough for my girl to comment on.
Went to the straight and even I cannot believe how cleared up my neck got. no more bumps at all.

I find the “Gillette slide” helpful when shaving areas prone to sensitivity.

I am cursed with a slim athletic build. I never shave the Adam’s apple directly because it is too boney. I stretch the skin either side to provide a better substrate.

Update.
I changed to just one pass under the neck. I am using a synthetic brush only (I usually use my boar brushes) and I have added Proraso sensitive aftershave. My skin is much much better.

P. S. This week I will try to shave with a feather shavette clone. If it works better than De then I will try a straight razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
P. S. This week I will try to shave with a feather shavette clone. If it works better than De then I will try a straight razor.
Please read these instructions first:

Your shavette shave will be similar in technique to a traditional SR but, with the shavette, you will need to shave with an even flatter shave angle than a traditional SR.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A pretty nice aftershave balm that's working for quite a few of us is the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream Ultra Dry Skin. I get red bumps that aren't ingrown hairs but something that shows up due to psoriatic arthritis. The Hydro Boost takes care of them in a few minutes, usually.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
However I can't get rid of red spots on Adam's apple area.

Make sure you applied a solid, thick and slick lather to your neck. Dip your razor into the sink, or run some cool water from the tap onto the razor. Immediately begin shaving that area WTG, using 0-pressure, let the weight of the razor barely make contact with the skin.

Then, if you are somebody who does ATG just as I do... After you re-wet the neck, and re-lather. Do the same thing, temper the razor in cool water, and immediately begin shaving the area ATG, but use 0 pressure, basically, you want the action to be light as a feather. Just enough to catch the hairs, but not grind into the skin.

I think once you've done this, you will notice that the area is not red. In my recent experience as being a new DE shaver, there is only two reasons I've learned that can cause redness in the neck.

(1) Your applying far too much pressure, better to be light as a feather!
(2) Your neck is dry, not enough lather, skin not wet enough = razor burn!

Have you tried applying a soluble aspirin paste to the spots? I found that worked very well for me in the past to clear them up quickly.
Definitely agree with others who have advised not to apply pressure. Let the weight of the razor do the job.

Top Bottom