What's new

Recommendations & advises please

Hello all! Brief introduction: all along I'm been using Gillette Sensor Excel (31g) and recently switched to double edge razor shaving (less than a year).
I started with a cheap Gillette Super Blue Razor (long handle) (18g) and wanted an adjustable as it was too mild. I bought another cheap metal double edge razor (short handle) (~40g) to try out short handle.

Thus I went ahead to buy Merkur Progress (Short) due to the slightly lighter weight and cheaper price tag (comparing to Merkur Progress (Long)) .
I had been using Merkur Progress (Short) since, and find it a little heavy; especially when going against the grain (I normally start with the grain before going against; which I enjoy more for closer shave).
Not sure is it all along my shavers are very light and am using long handle.
My hand size is around 18.5cm x 10cm.

So should I:
1) continue to use it so as to get used to it
2) get Merkur Progress (Long) < but my only concern is that I already find short heavy; or maybe the weight distribution is better?
3) get Feather Double-Edged Adjustable
4) get Parker Adjustable Injector < I had bought x100 Astra DE blades and IINW injection blade are much more expensive

Thank you for reading and looking forward to your kind recommendations & advises :)

One line of reasoning would be to use one razor for at least a month to learn and hone your technique.

Of course you can do whatever you want. Another option would be to get a different adjustable. If you wanted a less expensive one, what about the Razorock Adjust? It is very cheap and is similar to a Gillette Slim. You could also consider a vintage Gillette Slim if you are drawn in by the heritage.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!

Injector blades are indeed a lot more expensive than DE blades. However, due to the design of the blades and the design of the razor heads, the blades will last a lot longer. Thus, the cost per shave of an injector blade vs a DE blade will be comparable.

The only way to figure out which razors and which blades work best for you is to try them.
My preference is for long handled razors as I have large hands. Others like short handles.
My preference is for heavier razors made from brass or stainless steel. Other like lightweight aluminum and titanium.
My preference is for super sharp blade to sever my very coarse stubble. Other find those blades to be so sharp they draw blood.

I hope you get my point. Nobody else can make recommendations for which razors and blades you might like unless they understand your needs and preferences.

How old are you? Beards tend to get tougher as you age.
How coarse is your beard? How fast does your beard grow?
How sensitive is your skin? Do you have specific issues such as acne, eczema, ingrown hairs, etc.
How do you prepare your beard before the shave?
What shave soaps or creams do you use for your shave?
Are your hands big or small?

All of these factors can affect the type of razors and blades that might work best for you.

Welcome!
If you are happy- comfortable with your current razor keep it, for now. Use it , perfect your mechanics.
While doing that you can get assortments of blades to try from several places.
Here on B&B is The Great Blade Exchange. A great place.
Several commercial sites have blade assortment packs.
Most important is enjoy. It’s your time. There’s no test.

What setting(s) do you use on the Progress? You will see many razors describes as mild or aggressive or somewhere between the two. If you tend to prefer the lower setting on the Progress I suggest that you stick to relatively mild razors; if you are using the higher numbers look for more aggressive razors. If you like lighter weight razors, maybe someone can suggest a good option for you in an aluminum razor (of course, there's always titanium but it's quite expensive). Since I tend to prefer heavier razors, I don't have any suggestions for one. I am very happy with my Karve Christopher Bradley (CB) in brass, and I know that Karve does sell aluminum razors, but I haven't tried either the Christopher Bradley or the Overlander in aluminum. While the CB is not an adjustable per se, you can buy multiple base plates to make it a milder or more aggressive shave. The Overlander only comes with one base plate option.
Good luck!

I agree with the advice above.

I bought the short progress too because I don't like heavy razors. Other new adjustables will be even more hefty. It has medium weight overall, some SS razors are over 120g, some even 150g.
I have big hands, but I can still use smallish razors, i.e. 37C or the Progress. One trick is to use your pinky to support the razor from the bottom, but that does not work in the S-N direction.

If you really want to try a lighter razor, just get a 3 piece, like the RR Game changer or Lupo, with a light handle (i.e. Ufo, or Ti). Plenty of plates to choose from. The RR Ti handle is light and long (100mm).

Progress may not be for you, but it is a very popular razor that has been around a long time so if I were you I would audition it thoroughly while refining technique before buying something else.

Experiment with:
Different grips, more towards the head, more towards the end of the handle, in between
Different dial settings ...... I like to set mine on "1" but some here go up to 3 or 4
Different angle of contact with skin ...... more towards the head, more towards the comb

Astras are good blades, but you may want to experiment with a few others before investing in a new razor.

A razor is kind of like a golf club or a tennis racquet or similar -- hard to completely evaluate without first refining technique.

Thanks for all advises :)
Beside Feather Double-Edged Adjustable, are there any lightweight adjustable to recommend?

One line of reasoning would be to use one razor for at least a month to learn and hone your technique.

Of course you can do whatever you want. Another option would be to get a different adjustable. If you wanted a less expensive one, what about the Razorock Adjust? It is very cheap and is similar to a Gillette Slim. You could also consider a vintage Gillette Slim if you are drawn in by the heritage.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!

The Razorock Adjust and a Gillette Slim are both light. The RR Adjust is $15.

Keep what you have and perfect your technique. Great shaves are a function of technique, not equipment.

If you can’t improve your technique, switch to a Schick Injector with Chick blades. Perfect shave, no technique required.

Top Bottom