What's new

Recommend some knots --- face lathering, boar/horse, firm backbone

Which knots to try ?
I have some empty shave brush handles to fill and want to create a rotation.

(a) I build lather on my face rather than in a bowl, prefer hair that has more scratchiness/exfoliating and less softness, and firm/very firm backbone rather than brushes which tend to splay. I assume boar or horse rather than badger.

(b) If a brush hole is 26mm, what diameter size knot is the proper fit for the hole --- 24mm or 26mm ?

Thanks.

Bass301

I'd look at borrowing the knot from an Omega 49 or Zenith 80, both 26mm nominal size. I'd set the loft to 56mm or less. That should give you the backbone you are after. Both brushes can be had for under $10.

1644174293277.png
1644174417595.png

Knot sizes given by the manufacturer are not usually exact. Best to measure.

2 to 1 size to loft is usually a good place to start, usually a handle drilled for a 26mm will be 1-2mm bigger.
The Omega Jade is about 26mm/52mm loft which is very nice, the GS Wild Hog uses the 49 knot set to 26/~56mm. So, somewhere in that range seems right, depending on what is desired.

The Omega Jade from Connaught has the most backbone of any brush I have ever tried. If that is what you want, just buy it. It is a beast and not expensive.

Always a little smaller than the hole by 1-2mm, so 24mm. Maybe 25mm , although a rarer size. Maybe consider a pure badger with a lower loft for backbone at some point. They are much scritchy/scratchier than boar. Boar and ime horse are soft with higher backbone only. Boars tend to get very soft once broken in.

I could not be happier with this Boar knot from the golden nib. It has backbone for days and lathers great. It is not scritchy, but is soft as any of my badgers. A true jack of all trades. Bowls or face lather it excels.

1644295331487.png

Thanks for replies ! About the "Omega Jade", it seems a few different Omega brushes include this name. Is there a specific Omega Jade version that best fits the desired description ?

The stiffest brush I have is a Zenith scrubby boar, but mine is in a copper handle so not so easy to mine the knot. But the plastic handles are easy to crush if the short scrubby comes in one. I like the Turn n Shave shoat untreated knot that I set pretty deep to keep it stiff.

The Omega Jade knot that guys reference here is the one sold by Conought in England.

Anyone tried the Maggards "premium" boar knot?

Try the boar knots from whipped dog. Larry will put it in a handle of your choice from his store. I have his 30mm and 26mm. Excellent budget premium boar brushes that money can buy !

From left to right

Zenith Boar, Omega Jade (connaught shaving), WD 26mm, WD 30mm, Omega Pro

20220213_093453.jpg
20220213_093502.jpg

Last edited:
Mixed boar badger. Omega mighty midget (very small) ; Semogue Mistura (normal size) you will love these. A bit of a break in, bet it's the boar part.

Mixed boar badger. Omega mighty midget (very small) ; Semogue Mistura (normal size) you will love these. A bit of a break in, bet it's the boar part.
Mistura was going to be one of my recommendations too :thumbup1:

For standalone badger knots, you might consider the Elite Razor manchurian, or a Shavemac. Or Ace Shaving has some well-priced options through eBay, I grabbed one of their “manchurian high mountain” knots kindof on a whim to fill a handle, and have been pleasantly surprised with it for face-lathering.

Top Bottom