What's new

Razors with little/no blade gap or exposure but high blade reveal?

Had a minor revelation today when using my new SLOC and how smooth and efficient it was. It felt quite similar (but less aggressive) to my Fatip OC slant and I realised that my best feeling razors were ones with basically no blade gap or exposure, but quite a lot of blade reveal.

Looking at that image is the definitions I'm going by, but it seems to me that my best shaves come from razors where the top cap curves and pushes the blade down over the comb, so it lays basically flat against the comb with no gap or exposure but with a rather thick edge of blade showing - high reveal.

Are there any other razors like this out there? Looking at photographs it seems maybe an Old Type would fit this description, are there any others? This is in contrast to my other razors like my '40s super speed, where if I hold it up I can see the blades edge jutting out from the top cap and a definite gap between where the blades edge stops and the safety bar.

Thanks in advance.

Blade reveal shouldn't change how a razor shaves at all. Other than possibly making the blade edge less rigid, it doesn't factor into what actually cuts the stubble.

Blade EXPOSURE certainly does, and blade gap a little bit less so, but still a factor. Blade reveal is neither here nor there in terms of how a razor actually shaves.

I wonder why these two razors specifically have been the smoothest and least irritating for me then, they both have fairly flat blades pressed into the comb with from what I can see zero blade gap or exposure beyond the width of the blade.

Blade reveal shouldn't change how a razor shaves at all. Other than possibly making the blade edge less rigid, it doesn't factor into what actually cuts the stubble.

Blade EXPOSURE certainly does, and blade gap a little bit less so, but still a factor. Blade reveal is neither here nor there in terms of how a razor actually shaves.

It most certainly contributes to the comfort of the shave for me...

Even if blade clamping is excellent, a large blade reveal still causes blade chatter.

That's why my favorite razors have a big blade bend and minimal blade reveal.

Had a minor revelation today when using my new SLOC and how smooth and efficient it was. It felt quite similar (but less aggressive) to my Fatip OC slant and I realised that my best feeling razors were ones with basically no blade gap or exposure, but quite a lot of blade reveal.

Looking at that image is the definitions I'm going by, but it seems to me that my best shaves come from razors where the top cap curves and pushes the blade down over the comb, so it lays basically flat against the comb with no gap or exposure but with a rather thick edge of blade showing - high reveal.

Are there any other razors like this out there? Looking at photographs it seems maybe an Old Type would fit this description, are there any others? This is in contrast to my other razors like my '40s super speed, where if I hold it up I can see the blades edge jutting out from the top cap and a definite gap between where the blades edge stops and the safety bar.

Thanks in advance.
The G.E. Jones Shake Sharp razors and the Davies Rythmic razor have the most blade reveal of any DE razor, and are very "noisy" razors (blade chatter). The full metal shake sharp is the milder of the two shakers, with the bakelite handled one being quite a bit more aggressive.

The Rythmic razor is adjustable, so I expect it goes from mild to wild. I've seen two in 30 years, so don't plan on running across one of those anytime soon.

Edit: the shake sharps are great shavers, just a bit on the loud side when they plow through stubble.

Thanks in advance.
I ordered two Fatip's and they arrive tomorrow. A Grande OC and a La Storto OC slant. They will be my first Fatip's!
Like you I tend to like that design. Have you looked at Above the Tie?
They have a Made in the USA aluminum that has 2mm of blade reveal but the gap is 0.25 (I own this one but with the 0.58 & 0.91 plates)

They also have the SS Windsor that has 1mm blade reveal and offered with a 0.25 or 0.40 gap plates (I own this one as well but with the 0.80 gap plate)

My favorite razors!
LRod

Top Bottom