What's new

RazoRock Hive 24 Mokasoft HD Synthetic

I just ordered one of these RR Mokasoft. I have plenty of synthetic brushes but this has such a nice handle and a shorter loft than the rest of my brushes. My favorite brushes that I use now are the RazoRock Big Bruce and a Muhle STF 23mm knot x 55mm loft.

I'm looking forward to trying this one.

I just ordered one as well...lol. Been in a synthetic brush discovery mode as of late. Looking forward to this one.....the handle looks fantastic....and I prefer shorter lofts.

I've recently picked up a PAA Amber Aerolite, Stirling 24mm, Zenith S10, and PAA Perigrino. Hopefully the RR fits right in.

I just ordered one as well...lol. Been in a synthetic brush discovery mode as of late. Looking forward to this one.....the handle looks fantastic....and I prefer shorter lofts.

I've recently picked up a PAA Amber Aerolite, Stirling 24mm, Zenith S10, and PAA Perigrino. Hopefully the RR fits right in.

It's certainly worth $20.00.

Today was my penultimate side-by-side comparison shave between my RR Mokasoft and my other four synthetic brushes. Up today was my PAA Roswell Grey Hybrid knot set in a Yaqi Sagrada Familia handle. This is my travel brush, and I just finished a 16 day trip where I used it everyday, so I am quite familiar with (and quite pleased with) this brush. My initial reaction to using the Mokasoft on one side and the PAA Roswell Grey on the other was that these brushes are very similar to one another. Both whip up lather effortlessly, splay nicely and provide reasonable backbone and a very soft face feel. At first I didn't think that I would be able to tell them apart in a blind comparison, but by the second pass I felt that the Mokasoft felt denser and as if it were a bigger brush than the Roswell Grey. They are both 24mm knots, but I think that the extra density of the Mokasoft makes it feel larger.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Today was my penultimate side-by-side comparison shave between my RR Mokasoft and my other four synthetic brushes. Up today was my PAA Roswell Grey Hybrid knot set in a Yaqi Sagrada Familia handle. This is my travel brush, and I just finished a 16 day trip where I used it everyday, so I am quite familiar with (and quite pleased with) this brush. My initial reaction to using the Mokasoft on one side and the PAA Roswell Grey on the other was that these brushes are very similar to one another. Both whip up lather effortlessly, splay nicely and provide reasonable backbone and a very soft face feel. At first I didn't think that I would be able to tell them apart in a blind comparison, but by the second pass I felt that the Mokasoft felt denser and as if it were a bigger brush than the Roswell Grey. They are both 24mm knots, but I think that the extra density of the Mokasoft makes it feel larger.

Great description of the feel of the Mokasoft knot! It does feel more dense than the Roswell Gray. :)

Both are very good synthetic brushes. :cool:

This morning was my final side by side comparison between my RR Mokasoft and my other synthetic brushes. Up today was my Yaqi Rainbow Brown, also referred to as a synthetic horse or pony knot. This brush has been a favorite of mine, not least because it was a gift from my wife. From experience I knew that both of these brushes would whip up large quantities of lather in a jiffy, and they did so again today. First up was the Rainbow, and I really enjoy using this brush! I've seen some folks complain that it lacks backbone and is too floppy, but I don't find that to be true. When I switched to the Mokasoft, however, I had to admit that the additional density and backbone on the RR brush are a welcome plus. So, once again, the RR Mokasoft gets the nod as the preferred synthetic. One advantage that the Rainbow might have for some is the longer handle that can be advantageous when bowl lathering. That said, the Mokasoft handle is large enough to accomodate bowl lathering. I find both handles easy to grip and pleasing to the eye.

If I had to rank my synthetic brushes from most to least favorite, it would look like this:
  1. RazoRock Hive Mokasoft High Density
  2. PAA Roswell Grey Hybrid
  3. TurnNShave Full Moon & Yaqi Rainbow Brown (tie)
  4. Yaqi Mink
Less pleasing to me are the 4 or 5 (or more) other synthetic brushes I have owned and sold. Off the top of my head those include the Simpsons Chubby 2, Simpsons Trafalgar 2, Sterling Kong, AP Shave Tuxedo, and Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo.

I ordered one of these this morning as an early Christmas present. I absolutely love the keyhole and both the Bruce and big Bruce. IMHO Razorock make the best bang for your buck brushes in wet shaving, and the Bruce/ Big Bruce’s handle is my favourite at any price.

Top Bottom