What's new

Razorock Gamechanger 0.68 OC vs 0.84 SB

I haven't found too many threads that specifically discuss the comparison between these 2 models of razors.

I've had the 0.84 SB for a good 3 years now. The razor is by far the most comfortable/smooth one I've ever had (relative to my other razors: DE89,Fatip Piccolo, Muhle R41, Merkur 39C) but sometimes the blade feel can be a bit too much for my liking..

Lately, I've been shaving less frequently, so I grow a fair amount of stubble between shaves, and even though the 0.84 SB gets the job done(On occasion, I've even shaved a months worth of growth of a decent beard with the 0.84 SB with relative ease) I was wondering what the 0.68 OC is like in terms of smoothness and blade feel?

I'm looking for a Razor that has that same smoothness or even more due to the rigid blade clamping but less blade feel but still is quite efficient and felt like the 0.68 OC might feel milder/smoother/more comfortable but still be quite efficient. On the Razorock website it says the 0.68 OC is a fair bit milder than the 0.84 SB, but I'm looking for anecdotal inputs. Thanks.

I don't have the 84, so I can't compare. I do have the .68OC and it will plow through several days growth like butter where other razors will struggle. That's with a Feather blade. Yet, it is smooth enough to use every day.

I don't have the DE89, but do have the similar King C. Gillette. The .68OC certainly isn't as mild or safe as the KCG. The RR scale has the SLOC as more aggressive than the .68OC, but my experience is the extract opposite. The SLOC is milder and safer while the .68OC will bite if you're inattentive or have a blemish.

Out of 25 or so razors I'd put the .68OC as my number 2 or 3 razor.

I don't have the 84, so I can't compare. I do have the .68OC and it will plow through several days growth like butter where other razors will struggle. That's with a Feather blade. Yet, it is smooth enough to use every day.

I don't have the DE89, but do have the similar King C. Gillette. The .68OC certainly isn't as mild or safe as the KCG. The RR scale has the SLOC as more aggressive than the .68OC, but my experience is the extract opposite. The SLOC is milder and safer while the .68OC will bite if you're inattentive or have a blemish.

Out of 25 or so razors I'd put the .68OC as my number 2 or 3 razor.
Agree about the SLOC. When I need to shave in a hurry, it's what I reach for. It is a great companion to the GC .84 and I used both to shave just this morning.

Reactions: OB1
I've tried both SB game changers. I'm a once or twice a week shaver as well. I've found that the .85 has more blade feel but it also the better of the two at mowing down several days growth. I end up making more passes with the .68 to achieve the same results and that sort of counterbalances the decrease in blade feel. I don't think you will like the .68 for occasional shaves. If you shave more often you get the same results and the lighter blade feel is nice. as always YMMV and good luck

I've tried both SB game changers. I'm a once or twice a week shaver as well. I've found that the .85 has more blade feel but it also the better of the two at mowing down several days growth. I end up making more passes with the .68 to achieve the same results and that sort of counterbalances the decrease in blade feel. I don't think you will like the .68 for occasional shaves. If you shave more often you get the same results and the lighter blade feel is nice. as always YMMV and good luck
For the 0.68 SB I agree, but I was wondering about the 0.68 Open Comb

I have the .68 SB, .68 OC, and .84 SB.

The .68 SB is too mild and requires more touch ups.
The .68 OC is perfect. I tend to use it when i have a bit of growth. My go to is a Henson Ti22 medium because I can move a little quicker with it, but If I'm willing to take a little more time the .68 OC is great. I can nick myself with it if my hand is shakey but other than that it's a super smooth, comfortable, and pretty close shave.
I've only used the .84 SB once, and it might have given me a ever so slightly closer shave than the .68 OC, but it left a bit of irritation on my sensitive neck. I'll give it another shot one of these days.

I have the .68 SB, .68 OC, and .84 SB.

The .68 SB is too mild and requires more touch ups.
The .68 OC is perfect. I tend to use it when i have a bit of growth. My go to is a Henson Ti22 medium because I can move a little quicker with it, but If I'm willing to take a little more time the .68 OC is great. I can nick myself with it if my hand is shakey but other than that it's a super smooth, comfortable, and pretty close shave.
I've only used the .84 SB once, and it might have given me a ever so slightly closer shave than the .68 OC, but it left a bit of irritation on my sensitive neck. I'll give it another shot one of these days.
How would you say the smoothness and blade feel compares between the 0.68 OC and 0.84 SB

Blade feel was what I initially disliked the most about the .84SB, but once I committed to a longer term trial I quickly became accustomed to it and now don't even notice it at all.

Just how close to the .68SB does the .68OC shave, as opposed to the .84SB? How does the .68Jaws figure into the mix? According to the RR aggression chart it is one notch below the .84SB.

Blade feel was what I initially disliked the most about the .84SB, but once I committed to a longer term trial I quickly became accustomed to it and now don't even notice it at all.

Just how close to the .68SB does the .68OC shave, as opposed to the .84SB? How does the .68Jaws figure into the mix? According to the RR aggression chart it is one notch below the .84SB.
No doubt about it. It is still an amazing razor. It's just that nowadays I don't shave as often anymore. On average I'll go 2 weeks without shaving these days (sometimes more, up to 3-4 weeks), and when I shave with the 0.84 SB I have to continuously retouch and it's there that the blade feel becomes evident and irritation starts kicking in which is why I'm looking at the 0.68 OC which should technically have less blade feel and be smoother while being more efficient due to it's open comb nature. The 0.68 JAWS seems overkill to me as many have noted it has significant blade feel.

Last edited:
No doubt about it. It is still an amazing razor. It's just that nowadays I don't shave as often anymore. On average I'll go 2 weeks without shaving these days (sometimes more, up to 3-4 weeks) and when I shave with the 0.84 SB I have to continuously retouch and it's there that the blade feel becomes evident and irritation starts kicking in which is why I'm looking at the 0.68 OC which should technically have less blade feel and be smoother while being more efficient due to it's open comb nature. The 0.68 JAWS seems overkill to me as many have noted it has significant blade feel.
With regard to having to continuously retouch with the .84 it might be a blade issue for you. I certainly don't think you'll find the efficiency you need in the .68, though the OC if not even the Jaws version would be the way to go. Especially given how long you go between shaves. I found the .68SB to be effective but inefficient, meaning I really over did it trying to get the quality of shave I wanted, which is why I transitioned to the .84SB. I use 7 o'clock Green SS and no longer get a blade feel to the razor.

I'm looking to get an OC to replace a beloved vintage OC that I recently passed on. Don't need it but I think I want one nonetheless so I'm trying to reason out what to get. In the end I'll probably have to just get them and see for myself.

No doubt about it. It is still an amazing razor. It's just that nowadays I don't shave as often anymore. On average I'll go 2 weeks without shaving these days (sometimes more, up to 3-4 weeks), and when I shave with the 0.84 SB I have to continuously retouch and it's there that the blade feel becomes evident and irritation starts kicking in which is why I'm looking at the 0.68 OC which should technically have less blade feel and be smoother while being more efficient due to it's open comb nature. The 0.68 JAWS seems overkill to me as many have noted it has significant blade feel.
I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I would go for the .68 OC. I had the .68 JAWS and didn't care for it although it was effective. Teeth are too widely spaced and is easier to get skin caught and a nick. It was close to the .84 SB in efficiency but honestly i thought the .84SB felt smoother. For me, the .68 SB is a bit too mild esp on multi days growth. This .68 OC sounds like the sweet spot from others comments.

Anyone have any observations about the .84OC? It's five notches higher at 24 on the aggression chart.

for reference:
.84 Jaws #27
.84 OC #24
.84 SB #19
.68 Jaws #18
.68 OC #14
.68 SB # 6

I had the .68sb and sold it, too mild and inefficient. I use the .84sb and love it; can shave fast with it without much risk. awesome razor. I'd like to to try the 68oc however, but I doubt if it's much better. the 84 is that good, imo. yeah, touchups are necessary but then that's usually the case anyway. many times high efficiency means bleeding and irritation. I had a lupo 95 and it was nearly a one-pass wonder, but had to switch razors for a second pass as the lupo brought bleeding. if the 68oc has less exposure and is cuts just as good as the 84 or 95, then I'm certainly interested in it. I'm thinking that blade vibration causes much of the skin irritation which might be why people like Henson so much, or so I'm guessing. One good thing about the GC 84 is the thin baseplate which, when inverted, allows close under-the-nose ATG. really like that and need it for a good shave. If I had just one choice for life it would be GC84sb. It's that good.

Anyone have any observations about the .84OC? It's five notches higher at 24 on the aggression chart.

for reference:
.84 Jaws #27
.84 OC #24
.84 SB #19
.68 Jaws #18
.68 OC #14
.68 SB # 6
If you like the .84 SB and want an OC with a little more efficiency - yes as it’s still smooth not menacing. Blade clamping is a bit better. If the .84 is at the top of your aggressiveness then maybe not. I like both the .84sb and .84OC.

If you like the .84 SB and want an OC with a little more efficiency - yes as it’s still smooth not menacing. Blade clamping is a bit better. If the .84 is at the top of your aggressiveness then maybe not. I like both the .84sb and .84OC.
Thank you! That was just the information I wanted to hear.

I used the .68 OC today and it did a good job as usual on 2 days of growth. I used the SB .68 plate for the second pass because i find my skin can be sensitive if I use the OC for both passes (this is why I consider myself to have sensitive skin).

A coworker borrowed my .68 OC and my Fatip Grande OC and as someone who shaves once a week, he preferred the Fatip; thought it cut the hair better and clogged less than the Game Changer. I sold it to him because the Fatip was too much for my skin on 2 days growth and that's generally the amount of days I go between shaves if I'm not shaving daily.
Since you mention that you often go more than a week without shaving I thought I'd share this story...

I've never tried the .84 so can't comment on it but if you're committed to the Game Changer maybe the .84 OC is for you (if you're going a week or more between shaves).

I used the .68 OC today and it did a good job as usual on 2 days of growth. I used the SB .68 plate for the second pass because i find my skin can be sensitive if I use the OC for both passes (this is why I consider myself to have sensitive skin).

A coworker borrowed my .68 OC and my Fatip Grande OC and as someone who shaves once a week, he preferred the Fatip; thought it cut the hair better and clogged less than the Game Changer. I sold it to him because the Fatip was too much for my skin on 2 days growth and that's generally the amount of days I go between shaves if I'm not shaving daily.
Since you mention that you often go more than a week without shaving I thought I'd share this story...

I've never tried the .84 so can't comment on it but if you're committed to the Game Changer maybe the .84 OC is for you (if you're going a week or more between shaves).
I'm scared the 0.84 OC might feel even more aggressive in terms of blade feel than the 0.84 SB.

The fact that the 0.84 SB can handle a months growth with relative ease, just requiring a little retouching here and there, makes me quite sure that the 0.68 OC would be just the right fit in terms of efficiency and comfort.

I haven’t seen it recommended, why not the 68 jaws. I haven’t used it but I have all three 84:
SB- I love this razor. Wonderful shave for the cost
JAWS- I don’t use it other than shark week but there is nothing horrible about the gap size of the teeth.
OC- This one does nothing for me better than the other two. Standard shaves aren’t better than the SB and if needing the open comb the jaws really works great and doesn’t have any downsides other than don’t use pressure against skin.
I hope maybe this comparison will help the decisions.

I haven’t seen it recommended, why not the 68 jaws. I haven’t used it but I have all three 84:
SB- I love this razor. Wonderful shave for the cost
JAWS- I don’t use it other than shark week but there is nothing horrible about the gap size of the teeth.
OC- This one does nothing for me better than the other two. Standard shaves aren’t better than the SB and if needing the open comb the jaws really works great and doesn’t have any downsides other than don’t use pressure against skin.
I hope maybe this comparison will help the decisions.
Because from all the comparisons I've read(there are much more JAWS to SB comparisons than SB to OCs ), the 0.68 JAWS seems to have considerably more blade feel than the 0.84 SB and 0.68 OC. I was looking for something that's milder than the 0.84 SB but as efficient if not more. And seeing how on the Italian Barber Razorock aggressiveness scale the 0.68 OC is a fair bit below the 0.84 SB thought it's best.

Then again, technically, the 0.68 JAWS is only 1 rank below the 0.84 SB thus should feel milder but according to other people's experiences seems much more blade feely and rougher than the 0.84 SB.

Top Bottom