What's new

Razorock Barberpole handle

Man. I didn't expect to take a beat down for expressing my opinion. If you dont like IB, dont give them your business. It's that simple. It seemed to me that the buyer got a partial refund, which should have resolved the situation. It's a cheap chinese handle. Not a Timeless. And I do agree that you can get better handles and better service from Maggards.
I'm really sorry as after reading my post it certainly came off like that... It sometimes upsets me that some people will at times just give a vendor a pass on a situation like this or because something only costs X mount and IMO, not fair to others that expect to get what was paid for and for the vendor to make right on the promise to send the same product as we paid for. I haven't purchased from IB in almost 2 yrs now because of a situation very similar to this and for other practices that they have chosen in the not so distant past...

I had orders a barber pole handle from IB and received it on Tuesday of this week. There were no defects on mine. Was I just lucky?

It seems like a quick inspection before sending the handle out to the customer would go a long way in preventing situations like this from arising in the first place.
It's more that the other guy was unlucky. IB probably sells hundreds of these handles a month. They are all packed up in card boxes, wrapped in tissue paper.

IB is relying on the manufacturer to produce a quality product, sometimes defects occur, though. The issue is more about how the vendor deals with customers when they get a defective product.

I do think this is all being blown out of proportion, honestly. The guy did get credit for the defective piece. Badmouthing the vendor does not really solve anything.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I'm really sorry as after reading my post it certainly came off like that...

I appreciate you saying that. For me, I just understand what Italian Barber is... from my perspective anyway. It is a place where I get $60 stainless razors and $5 tubs of soap. All that perform very admirably. Don Marco is one of my favorite soaps. Dont know why. But I love it. And the Game Changers are awesome razors. So they get my business. Dealing with vendors that offer low margin, high volume products can be challenging sometimes. And I get it. If the original poster was unhappy with the partial refund, he could have pressed the issue for them to take it back at a full refund. And if they didnt comply, he could have filed a dispute with the credit card company or paypal, etc. I am not trying to be contrary or combative. I just appreciate what IB brings to the table, and tailor my expectations accordingly.

I do think this is all being blown out of proportion, honestly. The guy did get credit for the defective piece. Badmouthing the vendor does not really solve anything.
Just so we’re clear, I don’t think I criticized the vendor, but instead suggested a way where the vendor could avoid such situations in the first place.

Man. I didn't expect to take a beat down for expressing my opinion. If you dont like IB, dont give them your business. It's that simple. It seemed to me that the buyer got a partial refund, which should have resolved the situation. It's a cheap chinese handle. Not a Timeless. And I do agree that you can get better handles and better service from Maggards.

Don't sweat it. I happen to agree with you. I am sorry the original poster had this issue but I've ordered multiple razorock handles and razors and mine have all been flawless.

I’m not trying to bash the company. I just wish I would have known that what I was getting wouldn’t look like the online picture. If I would have bought from the scratch and dent section it would be understandable, but it’s like I bought a shirt online at full price and it came with holes or something. I suggested that they include some kind of disclaimer on their products on the website that what you get might not be the same pictured so at least you get some kind of warning before buying. They replied that they will let the sales dept know. I had no idea that There was a possibility to get one with machining marks on it.

Last edited:
Just so we’re clear, I don’t think I criticized the vendor, but instead suggested a way where the vendor could avoid such situations in the first place.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you have to spend more to ship and send additional inventory because of mistakes you made, as a vendor, you would be more careful with QC before shipping them out to begin with.

I was just talking about this on another thread. Basically, these companies aren’t Gillette pushing out 100 thousand of these razors with billions in the bank, they are small companies, some of which have no other choice than to have razors made elsewhere. They try to keep costs down best they can and sell their razors at an attractive price.

You are going to get blemishes, mistakes etc but what separates a good company from the rest are those who stand by their product. Replace the product or offer a complete refund. This gentleman got a partial refund which is fine but he still has to buy another handle. Doing the math for a low cost, well made handle, he is still out $10 or more.

I mean it‘s $50 for a complete razor that’s machined from 316 stainless steel that’s also not made in China... even on their website it’s says and I quote,

“This means the razors will not be mirror finished and will not be mark-free. The razors may have some milling marks or finishing marks.”

seems to me that their transparent about it

I mean it‘s $50 for a complete razor that’s machined from 316 stainless steel that’s also not made in China... even on their website it’s says and I quote,

“This means the razors will not be mirror finished and will not be mark-free. The razors may have some milling marks or finishing marks.”

And yet they have others that they plainly name (SCRATCH DENT) (HANDLE ONLY)" on their site at a reduced price.

This ^^^^

In case you didn't read the OP, he didn't have an issue with buying a GC razor which is where the disclaimer was listed that you posted, it was just on the BP handle only so your comment is a little off base here!! Is the disclaimer listed on the handle only? Not the last time I looked...

Whenever a seller is uncooperative or unresponsive, I just let them know that I will let my bank handle it. When a retailer knows that a charge dispute looms on their horion, they'll jump thru their own a**hole to make it right.

I am sorry to hear about your experience, @lampm10999 - your experience is just not right!

I just got home and checked my barber pole handle and it is not scratched or dented, and I am a very happy customer. That said, it is really clear that when we shaving enthusiasts order a not scratched/dented razor, we expect to receive a not scratched/dented razor. If asked, my advice to IT would be to price their products so that we customers can easily request exchanges when we do not receive the product that we ordered.

Here is a photo of my barber pole handle. I would say that the following statement from IT accurately describes my handle - my handle is mark free:

"This means the razors will not be mirror finished and will not be mark-free. The razors may have some milling marks or finishing marks."

I should also add that I am not able to see any marks on my HD handle. I do wonder if the barber pole handle is just more difficult to mill than the HD.

Attachments

• 20191128_014130096_iOS.jpg
    20191128_014130096_iOS.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
I had bought one barber pole, last August, and it was perfect. Also bought game changer and wunderbar with no issues. May be am lucky o))

Mine way back was the Radio Knob. Received 2 razor/handle combos in good shape, the third for my youngest son was just unfinished with knurling sections overextended to the end of the handle. Not tool marks, just unfinished. Scuffs and a lot of tool marks can be buffed with steel wool and polished without machinery so that doesn’t bother me too much, but unfinished handles do.

Heck, I liked my GC so much, I hand buffed it with Flitz and basically got a mirror finish on the top cap and baseplate and had fun doing it. The handle thing though, I just never let go.

After I bought the Variant and got a replacement from them, I donated the other to the Saint Sue Moore Auction. Accurately described the issue, it sold and I threw in some blades for him.

One of the original finished handles was traded on BST for the Barber Pole handle. Held my breath but the BP handle I got back was in good shape. Threw the BP on my Fendrihan Mark II and there it remains.

What I have now works and ultimately did not lose anything but still was irked that I had to buy another razor so they would make it right. If this didn’t happen, would have added their new OC plates to the GCs I purchased. I also bought my boys .84s and I had the .68 and was planning on getting 2 more .68s for them.

3 OC baseplates and 2 more .68 baseplates. 5 baseplates fellas. 5 baseplates you didn’t sell all because of an unfinished handle.

It definitely sounds like razorock has some quality control issues occasionally. But in general their stuff is such high quality at such a reasonable price that I'll gladly buy from them again.

Last edited:
It definitely sounds like razorock has some quality control issues occasionally. But in general their stuff is such high quality at such a reasonable price that I'll gladly but from them again.

Every maker has some “quality control issues occasionally”. I wouldn’t say RR has them any more so than most other makers. I’d say they have customer service issues. Where they fall down is how they deal with the occasional QC issue.

Top Bottom