What's new

Razor, strop..what else?

So what will I need besides a razor and a basic strop to get started? I already have the creams the soaps and the brushes, so check there.

I read the guide and it mentions a barber hone? Is this necessary if I have a strop for the razor and plan to have it professionally honed (at least for now)?

If a barber hone is really needed where do I find one? Didn't seem to find many on ebay.

So what will I need besides a razor and a basic strop to get started? I already have the creams the soaps and the brushes, so check there.

I read the guide and it mentions a barber hone? Is this necessary if I have a strop for the razor and plan to have it professionally honed (at least for now)?

If a barber hone is really needed where do I find one? Didn't seem to find many on ebay.

Styptic pencil. :biggrin:

If the blade comes pre-honed (and you manage not to roll the edge :blushing:), then you should be OK for a couple of months with just a good strop. You will need a touchup hone or a pasted paddle (or hanger) strop eventually. You should not need any other hones if you don't do something bad to the edge. Even then you can send it out to have it re-honed.

If the blade comes pre-honed (and you manage not to roll the edge :blushing:), then you should be OK for a couple of months with just a good strop. You will need a touchup hone or a pasted paddle (or hanger) strop eventually. You should not need any other hones if you don't do something bad to the edge. Even then you can send it out to have it re-honed.

+1
just as in DE shaving start slow and concentrate on technique not speed both when shaving and stropping and you'll be fine

Sounds goofy, but keep extraneous noise to a minimum when starting out. The sound of the shave is equally informative as the tactile feedback.

Top Bottom