What's new

Ramblings of an ignorant noob

Soo.....I started wet shaving. I got er...directed to this place from another forum. I won a PIF, and through the generosity of Lamboy, I have a bunch of different blades to try out:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/343660-PIF-Blade-Sampler-for-newbies/page2

It all started with AOS lemon and an R89. The AOS shaving cream is gone, but the oil and post-shave balm is hanging on as is the brush.

So here is what I have noted thus far in this journey. Please feel free to tell me that I am an ignorant noob - it helps me learn.

Pre-shave - in my meanderings through the threads here I found a post from someone mentioning that conditioner works well as a pre-treatment in the shower. The good thing is that this appears to be true. Bad thing is that my wife is starting to notice that her Paul Mitchell Conditioner is mysteriously disappearing.

Shave - I have tried three shave soaps/creams with varying results:

AOS Lemon - great shave, doesn't clean the greatest from my razor. Feels great on the skin

Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream - this is NOT a lathering cream: deal with it. What it does well is feel good after/during the shave. This stuff is almost TOO slick on my skin. If I get it on my razor as I shave and rinse, my razor actually gets hard to hold on to. On the down side, it doesn't clean well from the razor. Not bad to keep around for when you have little time to shave.

Van Der Hagen Select - I used Williams when I was a teenager, one thing that drew me back to wet shaving. This actually builds lather pretty easily, which is something considering that my water is as hard as you can get from the tap. Just enough lubricity to get things done. Scent isn't the greatest, but disappears quickly. Cleans well from the razor, but dries quickly.

Barbasol Aloe - seriously. Just for giggles. Smells ....okay. Shave sucks. It is like shaving dry newspaper after using any of the above three. I'll use it as a pre-shave balm.

And blades?

When I got hooked in to AOS in Bellevue, I picked up a 10-pack of Merkur Super Platinum blades. Typical noob, my first outing was successful in that:

a. I didn't bleed to death, although it was close for a while
b. I was happy with the shave nonetheless.

The Merkurs feel....substantial? I know the blade is there. It cleans well and lasts for about 3-4 shaves, although after three it starts to pull quite a bit.

When my PIF arrived I pulled out the Astra Super Platinum first. I get a good shave from the Astra, although I almost think that the Merkur works better for me. More research is warranted. These blades do last longer though - the first Astra didn't start tugging until I had 4 days of shaving on it.

Really need to pick up some aftershave. I am currently using my old rotation:

John Varvatos Aftershave Gel. Smells great, although the scent fades fairly quickly. No burn at all, and keeps my skin soft.

Nivea Post-Shave balm - wife loves the smell, gives a bit of burn, doesn't keep the skin in as good condition as John Varvatos or AOS aftershave lotion.

That Captain's Choice I keep seeing talked about looks great.

Back to your regular ramblings....flame away! :biggrin1:

Lots of interesting observations on many different products.
Yes, consider yourself sucked into the B&B vortex :ohmy:

My wife loves the smell of the Nivea balm, too. Funny, as i consider it to be a clean, but unassuming scent.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Keep 'em comin'!

Regarding the AOS Lemon and your comment that it doesn't clean so well from the razor; are you sure that's the soap and not the pre-shave that is responsible for that? Another possibility; once when I noticed a build-up on the razor, I decided that the lather was too dry. This might be the problem. I have used AOS soap (unscented) and had no problems with build up on the razor. I tried their pre-shave but it felt like spreading Crisco on my face so I gave up on that. Now when I use a pre-shave it is the Castle Forbes pre-shave which is non oil based.

Regarding the AOS Lemon and your comment that it doesn't clean so well from the razor; are you sure that's the soap and not the pre-shave that is responsible for that? Another possibility; once when I noticed a build-up on the razor, I decided that the lather was too dry. This might be the problem. I have used AOS soap (unscented) and had no problems with build up on the razor. I tried their pre-shave but it felt like spreading Crisco on my face so I gave up on that. Now when I use a pre-shave it is the Castle Forbes pre-shave which is non oil based.

Perfect - thanks! I will dump the preshave oil bit and try without. I did quite like the shave i got with the AOS cream.

Interesting, i have never experienced any type of burn with the Nivea ASB. I had sensitive and dry skin. It seems to moisturize and hydrate my skin. to the point that i pretty much don't have that problem anymore.

Edit: which kind do you use? mine is the sensitive ASB.

Interesting, i have never experienced any type of burn with the Nivea ASB. I had sensitive and dry skin. It seems to moisturize and hydrate my skin. to the point that i pretty much don't have that problem anymore.

Edit: which kind do you use? mine is the sensitive ASB.

It's just the Cooling Post-Shave Balm. I like it! It doesn't keep my skin very moist though. I have very oily skin in the winter, so this is perfect stuff then.

Enjoyed reading your experiences. Did you get a whole tub of AOS Lemon or just some samples? I'm about half way through a tub. Love the stuff.

I get a light lavender scent from Nivea ASB, and the slight burn you experienced. I find Musgo Real after shave to be very soothing.

+1 on the Astra,also Shark,Poli-Silver and both Gillette yellow and silver blue.
I've found the AOS (at least the creams)to be a bit more "thirsty" than other creams so their soaps may also need a tad more water not to clog the razor.
Consider looking at any of the Taylor Of Old Bond Street creams (Eaton College,Mr.Taylor or Shaving Shop are a few of my faves) or Trufit & Hill (Grafton).
As far as canned goo goes Barbasol is one of the best for those "gotta shave but no time for the full brush and mug" situations but try to see if you can find the Barbasol yellow with lanolin.
One other canned goo I've come across is Rise shave foam (not the tubed gel or latherless cream) and I've come across both the Rise and Barbasol yellow at Dollar Tree stores here in the Chicago area.

Welcome back! For those of you still reading, anyway.

Two more blades under my belt since last I posted. I tried a Shark Super Chrome and a Derby Extra.

Shark Super Chrome:

Comfortable glide and cleaned well. This blade lasts longer than any I've tried thus far, giving me five daily shaves before starting to tug. It doesn't give as close a shave as the others I've thus tried. One pass WTG/ATG and I get a servicable shave for sure, but have to work a bit to get close. On the bright side, this blade is more forgiving than any other as of yet.

Derby Extra:

These glide and clean VERY well. Longevity is pending as I tried this for the first time today. It seems sharper for me than the Shark, and a bit less forgiving. I got a bit closer shave with the Derby than the Shark, and had little touch-up to do after one WTG/ATG cycle. Not sure what I think about these yet, but they are good blades. More research is needed.

I'm alternating between barbasol and my wife's conditioner as a pre-shave Having shaved with and without a base of shaving oil under VDH, I'm not sure whether I like it or not. When I have the lather just right, I don't need it. It does help things along when the lather isn't quite "there" though, so it is worth keeping around.

Thanks for listening!

And it continues....

Derby was okay, but not my favorite in the end. Absolutely forgiving though. If I am in an hurry to mow the face, these would be the blades I would grab.

But this week I am giving the Astra Superior Platinum a test drive.

It's an interesting blade. Sharper than a few of the others I've tried, and a bit less forgiving. Not "where did I put my nose" unforgiving, but weeper-inducing if not paying attention to prep - particularly if I use a non-lathering shave lotion rather than a soap. I get a closer shave on WTG passes than some others, which is a good thing for the skin. Prepping with my full routine of conditioner in the shower, shave oil, and VDH soap gives me a very comfy shave with these blades. Longevity is to be determined. So far, I like these.

One question that I have is with longevity. I shave with this blade and my face is rough within hours. I'm about 90% sure this is something to do with my noob technique. Not sure whether I like the Derby or the Astra better at this point.

Annnddddd......I'm back!

It's been a busy couple of weeks. Daughter graduated from high school, so I no longer have kids in K-12 education. Weird feeling. Finished my professional certification, which comprises about 65 pages of "stuff" that gives me the privilege of continuing with my job. My master's thesis in biology is no where near as long.

But I digress.

I tried a Dorco blade from my PIF last week, and promptly tossed it. Well, not promptly - I kept it for three shaves to see what might develop.

From the beginning it pulled like a worn out Shark. It smoothed out to a bic grocery cartridge kind of shave.

Seriously meh.

I haven't seen reviews panning these as much. I will try another one, but I think this will go into the PIF stack. They clean fine and are packaged well, so I am sure that they just don't work with my beard.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with each blade. I've finally started the hunt for what works better for myself so this is a very helpful review.

I had the same experience with the Dorco's. After I shaved twice with that blade I happily used my pocket knife for the next week while my face healed. The pocket knife was much better. Nivea Sensitive also burned my face, especially after a bad shave...which I thought it was supposed to SOOTH. Thus is life.

I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and experiences, and appreciate your sense of humor. Congrats on being allowed to continue your job.

“Now this is the point. You fancy me a madman. Madmen know nothing. But you should have seen me. You should have seen how wisely I proceeded...”

You guessed it - it's time to try the Feather. After an un-fun couple of days with a bad Merkur blade (they aren't all that bad, but man this one was horrible) I decided I deserved it. Cleaned my razor, loaded up the Feather, and fell asleep, dreaming of close shaves.

Today was "single pass Monday," so named because I have to get to work and set up my lab. Things started off well, as my regularly "good" proraso turned "damned good" when I finally added enough water. Win!

“True! - nervous - very, very nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad?”

Slowly I approached my stubble with the razor, locked and loaded. If this were a 1911A1, it would be in condition one. The stubble whimpered. Proraso foam cackled with glee, yelling "you're outta here, you...whiskers!" in Italian.

Closer came the razor. My thoughts shifted from Poe to Michael Moorcock.

“We must be bound to one another then," Elric murmured despairingly. "Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance. Well, then—let it be thus so—and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melinbone and Stormbringer, his sword. We are two of a kind—produced by an age which has deserted us. Let us give this age cause to hate us!”

A guttural laugh rumbled up from the depths of my throat, and I could swear that I could hear Blue Oyster Cult performing "Black Blade" to give voice to my doom-drenched razor.

And then it happened.

One pass, WTG. Not a single nick. Not a bit of razor burn. Not BBS, but darn close. Elric retreated - too damn mopey to stick around, all "I'm an immortal and my life is miserable and I kill everything around me." Goodbye, you skinny albino. That crazy bastard that killed that poor guy and stuck him under his floorboards? Lacking the smell of blood, he left.

I splashed on a generous helping of Captain's Choice Lime and went to work.

I'll be getting more of these. Sharks are cool.

Top Bottom