What's new

Quick trip to Greece and Turkey

I'm heading out next week for a quick 5 day visit of Greece and thence to the south coast of Turkey.

Here's what my travel kit will entail:

1. Penhaligon's Trac II travel razor. Too much bother to have the DE and blades in a separate checked bag. I'll be doing some moving around, so my carry on has to have what I need to get by in the event my main baggage gets lost. This nickel two piece travel razor unscrews to make it fit into a very nice, black leather Pen's travel pouch.
2. Penhaligon's nickel handled two piece travel brush. Years ago, this was my go-to brush, the knot was just that good, even if the handle lacked a bit of shape and size.
3. A tub of Proraso. I find that a tub of commercially known shave cream/soap is less menacing than a tub of some dubious C-4 lookalike.........
4. Shaving cloth from Classic Shaving.com
5. Turkish peshtamel, which is much better than wrapping a tiny hotel towel around your waist while shaving.
6. Pinaud Eau de Portugal as an AS splash; citrus, inoffensive and not too long lasting for the benefit of other travelers in close proximity.
7. Clinique moisterizing skin cream.

A few pix of the a/m items on their way to being packaged up into the carry on.

Chris

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
:badger:Hey Chris:
I know... that you know... that (from what I 'googled'), Pinaud Eau de Portugal is a Hair Tonic :yikes:

Also.....don't drink too much Ouzo in Greece and eat too much Kebabs in Turkey:001_smile

Years ago I spent 10 days in Istanbul. Maybe, you'll get a chance to go to Instanbul. If you go...you must;

1. Go to the Grand Bazaar

2. See the wonders of the Blue Mosque

3. Buy some Turkish Rugs

4. Go to the 300 Year Old Turkish Bath (the Cagaloglu Hamami), near the Blue Mosque.

5. And if you're 'really' brave :w00t:...(and not have any "Sweeny Todd" thoughts :biggrin1: ), get a 'straight razor' shave from a Turk Barber. Either ask the man in your hotel front office or look around town because a dead give away for Turkish Barbers are towels 'airing out' near the shop front door :thumbup:

Christopher

:badger:Hey Chris:
I know... that you know... that (from what I 'googled'), Pinaud Eau de Portugal is a Hair Tonic :yikes:

Also.....don't drink too much Ouzo in Greece and eat too much Kebabs in Turkey:001_smile

Years ago I spent 10 days in Istanbul. Maybe, you'll get a chance to go to Instanbul. If you go...you must;

1. Go to the Grand Bazaar

2. See the wonders of the Blue Mosque

3. Buy some Turkish Rugs

4. Go to the 300 Year Old Turkish Bath (the Cagaloglu Hamami), near the Blue Mosque.

5. And if you're 'really' brave :w00t:...(and not have any "Sweeny Todd" thoughts :biggrin1: ), get a 'straight razor' shave from a Turk Barber. Either ask the man in your hotel front office or look around town because a dead give away for Turkish Barbers are towels 'airing out' near the shop front door :thumbup:

Christopher

I have been able to do all of those things already, several times in some cases as I've had the good fortune to visit Turkey in the past. As for the EdP, I know its classed as a hair tonic, but a barber I had years ago said its really every bit as good as an aftershave. Eau de Quinnine is also a hair tonic that works in my opinion well as an AS. The reason I'm taking the EdP is that (1) its in a plastic bottle, which is less likely to break in my carry on, and (2) its a light and inoffensive sort of AS that will work well in sunny, hot climes.

Chris

Nice travel setup. Love the Eau de Portugal, too.

What are you coming back with??

No clue. I mean, I have Arko shave stick already, it will really depend upon what I see when I'm out. I won't have a ton of time, so if I see a shave place, I'll dip in and see what they have.

Open to any/all suggestions..........

Chris

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I have been able to do all of those things already, several times in some cases as I've had the good fortune to visit Turkey in the past. As for the EdP, I know its classed as a hair tonic, but a barber I had years ago said its really every bit as good as an aftershave. Eau de Quinnine is also a hair tonic that works in my opinion well as an AS. The reason I'm taking the EdP is that (1) its in a plastic bottle, which is less likely to break in my carry on, and (2) its a light and inoffensive sort of AS that will work well in sunny, hot climes.

Chris

Chris:
Be Safe & Have a Great Trip :biggrin1:

PS Thanx for EdP Tip....I think I'll try it :thumbup1:

Christopher :badger:

Back, and I am currently nursing the fading waves and cramps of a mild case of food poisoning acquired, I suspect, from a lobster I ate while in Mikinos [sic]

Interesting place, pure hedonism, good food (avoid the lobster...) and beautiful women. I had little time, and therefore did not have the chance, or inclination, to look for regional shaving requisites.

Beautiful place, still have the sand of the beaches of Mikinos and Santorini in my sandals.

My travel shave kit was fine, but nothing as good as the real deal I have back home. Always the way.

Best,

Chris

Top Bottom