What's new

Questions about either a Combo cooker or Dutch oven for bread.

I need some advice and/or help on a combo cooker for bread. I've been cooking bread in my enameled cast iron and it's taking a toll on the enamel. I have a giant CI Dutch oven that I could use but it's a hassle to get out and set up, It's collecting dust in the closet. Did I mention that it's giant? Like feed a pack of starving boy scouts giant.

I'm looking for something that I could use for more than just bread. What size are you guys using for bread? I'm looking at http://this 3 quart combo cooker on Amazon as a possibility. I like the idea of using a combo cooker because I can put it in the oven with the shallow pan as the base and then remove the top to finish the bread. It seems like that is easier than trying to juggle a 500 F Dutch oven. Have any of you used both? What are the pros and cons of the CC or the DO?

Any input is appreciated.

I use a Lodge CI 5 quart dutch oven. It's a nice size for a round loaf and not too big and unwieldy.
I never thought about inverting it and using the top as the base when making bread though. That's a good idea.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Gee Shawn, I've no advise to give. I've never used a combo cooker or a Dutch oven for bread. As for the giant enamel coated DO, I would make a huge pot of chili and freeze it for later.

Thanks Aaron! I don't have a giant enameled Dutch oven, it's plain old CI. It doesn't like the acid from chili or tomato sauce very much. I use stainless steel for chili or spaghetti sauce.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks Aaron! I don't have a giant enameled Dutch oven, it's plain old CI. It doesn't like the acid from chili or tomato sauce very much. I use stainless steel for chili or spaghetti sauce.

You don't put tomato sauce in chili. That's called spaghetti with meat sauce. Jeesh, even the Texas guys need help.

Ha ha. Sure Aaron. The CIDO is just a pain to use, it's a pain to clean, a pain to move. I've got stainless steel that will do the job that's much lighter and easier to use than the CIDO. The DO was part of a set we bought in 2003. Some of the other pieces get regular use, like the fry pan.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ha ha. Sure Aaron. The CIDO is just a pain to use, it's a pain to clean, a pain to move. I've got stainless steel that will do the job that's much lighter and easier to use than the CIDO. The DO was part of a set we bought in 2003. Some of the other pieces get regular use, like the fry pan.

Um, so what was the question...lol?

Seriously Shawn, I think you already know more than most of us bread maker wannabe's here. Although my buttermilk biscuits and dinner rolls are to die for (ask me for the recipe). I say get the combo and start a new bread thread (that rhymes don't it?) showing the process, success or failure.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I'd like a buttermilk biscuit recipe Aaron! Please share it with us.

I'm a bread baker wannabe too. I think I've figured out what I'm going to do, keep using my enameled CI for the time being :w00t: I'll probably end up with this four quart combo cooker in a few weeks or months.

I'll try and scrounge up both in the next few days and post back here. The dinner rolls were a huge hit at my brothers for Christmas. The the brothers wife liked them so much she now hates me....true story.

I'll try and scrounge up both in the next few days and post back here. The dinner rolls were a huge hit at my brothers for Christmas. The the brothers wife liked them so much she now hates me....true story.

I've been there, it's how I know I've succeeded!

Top Bottom