What's new

Questions about buying a new razor and blades

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
First, would buying a new razor for someone else render me ineligible to participate in a thread in which I abstain from new purchases?

Second, do those commitments include refraining from buying new blades if you are actually running low?

Third, the real question: My son in law has a fairly coarse beard and shaves every few days. He skips the ATG. He says shaving more often or against the grain irritates him, especially his neck. He uses a good brush and soaps, a Maggard razor but I know not which one, and Feather blades. i am thinking of getting him a nice razor for his birthday in February. A Wolfman ain't gonna happen. Anybody want to offer a suggestion? As much as I love my Feather, I was thinking of one he could adjust by changing plates.

I'd go with something relatively aggressive if he is going to continue to not shave against the grain. I find open comb razors to work very well when I have several days of growth.

This setup *might make feathers a bit much, though.

Are you getting him this stuff in an attempt to enable him to shave ATG and maybe more often? Or can we assume he'll continue with his current methods? Because either circumstance calls for considerably different attack strategies.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I am currently in the December GRUME and the rules have no problem with you buying shaving equipment for another person and positively encourage the promotion of shaving and I do not believe that it is against the rules of the sabbatical either. As for blades with the GRUME there is a restocking day on the first of the month for those doing multiple GRUMEs with the sabbaticals you could always add blades as your exception

You can buy something shaving related for a gift to someone else under most sabbatical rules. You are expected under the yearly sabbatical to be stocked up with shaving supplies before the year starts. You can buy a replacement item if your one and only standard item breaks or is lost when traveling (razor, brush, etc).

Your son-in-law might be a good candidate for a Merkur Progress or Parker Variant. The Progress has been around for decades and is a good two-piece adjustable design. The Variant is extremely similar, but has not been in production nearly as long. Either razor is around $50-60.

A new or used Parker Adjustable razor.

A used Gillette Slim Adjustable razor

A new or used Merkur Progress Adjustable razor

A new or used Merkur Futur Adjustable razor

I own and use these razors. I recommend them without reservation. I too have a tough beard. BTW if you do get him an adjustable razor, remind him that it's not necessary (or expected) to set it on the highest setting. The purpose of an adjustable razor is to customize the razor to one's face and whiskers. Start with low to medium settings, and work up the scale only if necessary.

Last edited:
First, would buying a new razor for someone else render me ineligible to participate in a thread in which I abstain from new purchases?

Second, do those commitments include refraining from buying new blades if you are actually running low?

Third, the real question: My son in law has a fairly coarse beard and shaves every few days. He skips the ATG. He says shaving more often or against the grain irritates him, especially his neck. He uses a good brush and soaps, a Maggard razor but I know not which one, and Feather blades. i am thinking of getting him a nice razor for his birthday in February. A Wolfman ain't gonna happen. Anybody want to offer a suggestion? As much as I love my Feather, I was thinking of one he could adjust by changing plates.
I think a Rockwell 6C or 6S would work well for him. Depends on how much you want to spend. You could also get him a Game Changer with a couple of different plates.

I can only tell you what I like and use, I have a relatively coarse beard but only shave every 3th day and get the most efficency and comfort from the Razorock GC 0.84-P, Gillette slim J3 on setting 5 and the Rockwell 6C with plate 5/6 as for blades Polsilver, Nacet and perma sharp work best for me.

Fatip Piccolo. Open comb might be a better choice if he doesn't shave regularly. The Piccolo seems to clamp the blade down tightly for a very smooth shave.

Or the Fatip Lo Storto if you think he'd like a slant.

A Wolfman ain't gonna happen. Anybody want to offer a suggestion? As much as I love my Feather, I was thinking of one he could adjust by changing plates.

A Rockwell 6C may be the perfect gift. A really impressive razor with terrific balance and great "feel in the hand."
It has three double sided plates, so six possible adjustment levels, and it holds the blade in a perfectly aligned position.
It is one of my all time favorite razors ---- for me and my face, plate 4 with a Gillette Nacet offers a sublime shave.
While some highly regarded razors require incredible concentration while shaving, similar to driving a Porsche with a
six speed manual tranny on a twisty mountain road, shaving with the 6C is more like driving a Lexus sedan down a
smooth highway. Easy, effective, enjoyable, and efficient.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I'd go with something relatively aggressive if he is going to continue to not shave against the grain. I find open comb razors to work very well when I have several days of growth.

This setup *might make feathers a bit much, though.

Are you getting him this stuff in an attempt to enable him to shave ATG and maybe more often? Or can we assume he'll continue with his current methods? Because either circumstance calls for considerably different attack strategies.
Yes, I think he would like to be able to shave ATG and more often.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Fatip Piccolo. Open comb might be a better choice if he doesn't shave regularly. The Piccolo seems to clamp the blade down tightly for a very smooth shave.

Or the Fatip Lo Storto if you think he'd like a slant.
Yes, he has expressed interest in slants.

Yes, I think he would like to be able to shave ATG and more often.

I'd go with the Muhle R89 then.

The Progress would also be an excellent suggestion, however the problem with adjustables and newbs is that the razor will be set too aggressively to make up for technique, whereas a non-adjustable can only be tinkered with in two or three ways (short of replacing parts), that may not be immediately obvious.

Another suggestion for a razor with interchangeable plates is the Karve razor. You have to buy the plates that you want but you can purchase 7 different open comb plates and 8 different safety bar plates. It is made in Canada and probably more expensive than a Rockwell 6S but considerably less expensive than a Wolfman. I haven’t used one but many here have.

Karve

I think a Rockwell 6C or 6S would work well for him. Depends on how much you want to spend. You could also get him a Game Changer with a couple of different plates.
I've got the Rockwell and Game Changer, and find them both very good.

The Rockwell is simpler to buy, because all the plates are included, and (I think) it's always in stock. On the other hand it is only made in safety bar, while the Game Changer also offers open comb plates. The various Game Changers are not always in stock when you look on Italian Barber.

The Game Changer has covered blade tabs, so it can't give you a "tab gouge".

Good man!

First, you should be able to purchase shaving stuff as a present (except for yourself) under most rules.

Second, the list of razor suggestions in this thread is great! Personally, I might go with one of the multiple plate options, but a Slim or FaTip would also be a fine choice. Include a blade sampler or two! :punk: :punk:

Top Bottom