What's new

question on nicked up strop

I have been using the poor man's strop for a couple of weeks now. i have quite a few cuts and one or two places were i cut of a small piece of the top of leather (a couple of milimeters in size).

i guess my question is if these nicks/cuts affect the ability of the strop and are somehow ruining the edge of my razor? seems like it is quite a bit 'rougher' when i strop over one of theses nicks.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You can sand down the bigger divots so there isnt a sharp edge that contacts your razor as you strop. As long as you have a good stroke i can't imagine the smaller nicks affecting the edge. How are the shaves off of it?

If your still learning, just keep going, it shouldnt affect the razor edge to much that you would notice it at this stage. As mentioned above just find a way to remove the flappy bits and it will be fine.

+1 for sanding. I refuse to move from my poor man's strip until I've gone 6 months without nicking it and I've sanded out quite a few slices here and there. It's looks very well worn and battered but it does the job

Make sure no leather protrudes above the nicked area, no flap of leather or anything. You can slice off the flap of leather sometimes also. I think it works well to oil the spot, and rub it hard with the round ceramic edge of a coffee cup.

"Hold Tight. Strop Light." You will be OK...

Top Bottom