What's new

Question from a Bialetti newbie..

OMGOOODNESS!! I got my little Bialetti today. I purchased some Madaglia and gave it a whirl. I have to say, I love it. The espresso itself is great, the Americano was great and I even made a latte for my son with home frothed milk and Carmel syrup. I only got the 3 cup size...maybe should have gotten the bigger one, I have a feeling it’s going to be a hit with my wife and daughter as well. Thanks for all the help and info on this.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd go straight to the finest Italian brands: Vergnano 1882, Pellini and Illy.

P.S. Of the three names above Vergnano 1882 is my top choice.

I can't seem to find this in "E.S.E. pods" for pod porta filters.

My X-5 Francis Francis has an E.S E. Pod porta filter.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I can't seem to find this in "E.S.E. pods" for pod porta filters.

My X-5 Francis Francis has an E.S E. Pod porta filter.

They should be available, have you tried with a google research or directly on their web site?

I cannot help any further, since moka pots don't use them, they require coffee powder only.

They should be available, have you tried with a google research or directly on their web site?

I cannot help any further, since moka pots don't use them, they require coffee powder only.

I have been using LavAzza classico (not pod, ground) in my moka pot as it is easily sourced locally. Lately I've been drinking a home roasted blend of Indian robusta, Brazilian arabica, and Kenyan aribica but when I run out and want to continue with the moka pot I grab some LavAzza at the market.

I will continue to search for Vergnano in my local wanderings.

Thanks Marco

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've tried starting with hot water a few times, and I'm not very comfortable handling the thing when the bottom is nearly full of hot water (and, thus, very hot!)

I've tried starting with hot water a few times, and I'm not very comfortable handling the thing when the bottom is nearly full of hot water (and, thus, very hot!)

When I used aluminium and plated brass Moka pots I had to use hot water as the time the pot was over the gas burner got the handle too hot to hold. Putting a steel plate between the burner and pot kept the handle cooler but increased the time. Starting with hot water was the best solution I could come up with.

Fast foward to my discovery of stainless Moka pots and single burner 1800 watt induction plate. Cold water and this combination makes a pot in 4 minutes every time.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Fast foward to my discovery of stainless Moka pots and single burner 1800 watt induction plate.

I've had a stainless Moka pot saved in my Amazon shopping cart since I first saw you mention it (i.e., going on two years). I suppose I'll pull the trigger at some point.

I don't think using hot water is a good idea. Supposedly starting with hot water keeps the heat from reaching up the sides and cooking the coffee.

If you keep the flame medium-low, and not let it go up the sides, the pot will heat from the bottom and not burn the coffee.

Just add water and stir.

Congratulations on your purchase. Do not use hot water and do not use soap to clean it out. The bottom half is raw aluminum on the inside and gets seasoned by the fats in the coffee just like a cast iron fry pan gets seasoned by fats and oils. You don't want to remove that coating. Just rinse everything with water and give the upper part a wipe with a wet sponge to remove coffee sludge. Also, do not reassemble until it is air dried. If you reassemble it wet it can grow mold. Always fill the basket full with coffee and the boiler full to the bottom of the pressure release valve with water. If your tap water is poor quality use filtered water. The grind is ideally somewhere between an espresso grind and a drip grind but store pre-packaged espresso grinds like Medaglia d'oro. lavazza, etc. work fine.

No more Starbucks for you!

f your moka pot needs cleaning, or any coffee decanter, that is brown with coffee stains. Simply boil up enough water to fill what your cleaning and drip one cascade(i imagine most others will work) dishwasher pod and let it sit for a cpl hours.
Empty, clean any residue, rinse and it will be just like new.
I clean my behmor caraffe this way prob once a year.
Do not ever use dishwasher soap on an aluminium pot. It will permanently discolor the metal.

Top Bottom