What's new

Question for you SE Historians

I'm endeavoring to build my SE collection a bit and I am wondering - prior to my 1912 version - what models are actually older and will still use a modern SE blade? I've been looking for one of the so-called "lather catchers" for my collection, but I do want to be able to use modern SE blades. If you could name or list those that would work, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

A Gem Junior Bar is always a good one to get.
If you're in doubt, look for blade stops. Their presence doesn't always mean a modern SE will work (though quite often it does), but their absence usually means no.

I'm endeavoring to build my SE collection a bit and I am wondering - prior to my 1912 version - what models are actually older and will still use a modern SE blade? I've been looking for one of the so-called "lather catchers" for my collection, but I do want to be able to use modern SE blades. If you could name or list those that would work, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!
the 1907 LC's and up looks like this one ......
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Why use a modern de blade? The beauty of these razors are that the blade gives you a straight razor type shave.
The permanent blades that they used, are thicker, and can be honed in away that matches your needs.
These razors use blades that are essentialy shortened straight razors, with a guard.
Granted, you have less of an ability to control the angle, but you will definitely get a superior shave with the permanent blade.
If your worried about honing it, just send it to one of the boards resident honemiesters.
Its also a great way to get started on straights.

Why use a modern de blade? The beauty of these razors are that the blade gives you a straight razor type shave.
The permanent blades that they used, are thicker, and can be honed in away that matches your needs.
These razors use blades that are essentialy shortened straight razors, with a guard.
Granted, you have less of an ability to control the angle, but you will definitely get a superior shave with the permanent blade.
If your worried about honing it, just send it to one of the boards resident honemiesters.
Its also a great way to get started on straights.
Having a Heljestrand 7 day set, 2 Wester variants, and 3 Wilkinsons using half-wedges, I would beg to differ slightly. With a honing tool and decent strop, the wedges are certainly fine shavers, tho' the Wilkinson is a horrendous PITA because of its non-standard size.

Obviously, YMMV, but a modern SE has an edge that a wedge simply cannot match, more than once per hone- the angle and heat treatments tend to provide a better shave with an SE, without endless honing and stropping. It is fun to haul all the hardware out, once in a while, but on a regular basis, it makes the hobby a job, at least for me.:001_smile

Top Bottom