What's new

Question about The Golden Nib

I have a Parker black badger brush. I also have a brush I rehabilitated and put in a black badger knot from "The Golden Nib" The Golden Nib is slightly stiffer and a little more exfoliating than the Parker, so I understand 2 different suppliers can have the same product description with 2 different products. That being said... I was able to get another brush to rehab that has a matching handle to one I already own. I want to really put a high end knot in it. I noticed that there are 2 different silver tip badger knots on The Golden Nib (Silver tip standard, and Silver tip premium) and a "high mountain white" can anyone compare and contrast characteristics of these for me and give me a "what to expect" because their product descriptions are quite lacking.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have not tried the HMW, but the Premium is a good knot. The Standard was prickly. Their Two Band Finest is, in my opinion, the better value.

I have not tried the HMW, but the Premium is a good knot. The Standard was prickly. Their Two Band Finest is, in my opinion, the better value.
+1 The premium, or Grade A silvertips from TGN are good knots, but a bit overpriced IMO. I would avoid the standard silvertip, unless you like a good bit of scritch. I agree that the Finest (standard, not the F2) knots are the sweet spot of the TGN line. Excellent knots and a good value. I haven't tried the HMW, either, so I can't weigh in on that one.

General consensus is that TGN Finest knots are a great value for the money. I personally find them to be equally soft to the Premium/Grade A Silvertips, but with far better backbone. TGN Silvertips are either too scritchy (standards), or way too floppy (premiums).

Everything I have read about the HMW has been positive. It's the next knot on my list for any restoration I do.

I have a Parker black badger brush. I also have a brush I rehabilitated and put in a black badger knot from "The Golden Nib" The Golden Nib is slightly stiffer and a little more exfoliating than the Parker, so I understand 2 different suppliers can have the same product description with 2 different products.

TGN and FS have stiff Black Badger knots,i realy love them !
WD has a very soft (compared with the above brands) Black badger knot which i didn't like it at all.
I am not an expert but from the colour of the knot the Parker should βe softer than TGN and FS so no surprise.
I want to test this brush.
As for the TGN i have 4-5 types os Silvertips from that brand
None of them was "stiff",nice bloom,easy lathering,no shedding,good feeling in my skin, a fine choice.

Sorry for the abbreviations,i wrote like this because i saw that phenomenon in all the shaving forums
I have learned them from many American members:

TGN= TheGoldenNib
FS = Frank Shaving
WD = Whipped Dod
PCWP = PC Woodcraft and Pens
LJ = Liojun
ACE = Aceshaving
VS = Virginiasheng

I'll throw in another vote for the standard Finest from TGN. The fan-shaped one I have is my favorite brush. There might be better brushes out there for a hundred or two but for $30 or $35, I'm not sure that knot can be beat. My F2 Finest isn't bad but not as good as the standard. I also have a standard silvertip from them and it's significantly scratchier than either of the finest knots.

Top Bottom