What's new

Proraso pre-shave cream as a post-shave? Huh?

I posted this in another thread that got zero responses so I figured I'd make a thread about it

--

Hello Proraso fans, I gotta ask, I have the green pre shave cream and NOWHERE on it, the box, or the instruction manual does it say it can be used as a post shave. I always see it mentioned on here as a pre AND post shave, but where did this idea come from?

I did it try using it as a post shave anyways though, and when I went to look in the mirror later in the night there was a thick white film all over my face! Thank God I didn't go outside like this LOL.

so I must ask, how the hell do you use it as a post shave properly without it drying up all over your face?

Oddly enough, I had zero bumps or irritation after removing the thick white film from my face, but this is probably just some sort of coincidence.

Can anyone weigh in here on the proper method or routine? Or where on earth the idea to use it as a post shave balm came from?

I'm kind of starting to even doubt the merits of it as a pre-shave due to how fast it dries on your face and leaves the sticky, thick white film behind. Maybe this stuff should be completely rinsed off before shaving even?

Thoughts, comments, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance folks :)

Cheers

I've just ordered some of this stuff to give to try as both pre and post. I could be mistaken but before the overhaul of the brand I believe it was marketed as pre and post shave balm, apparently the key is to use a very tiny amount of it when using as post shave, applying it to wet skin

Applying it to wet skin as a post doesn't work properly, you will see a bunch of little gloopy 'balls' of white stuff form across your face as you rub it in. Maybe it should be applied to a dry face instead, I'm not sure.

Would love to hear your thoughts once you try it, please report back!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Applying it to wet skin as a post doesn't work properly, you will see a bunch of little gloopy 'balls' of white stuff form across your face as you rub it in. Maybe it should be applied to a dry face instead, I'm not sure.

Hey DuckDown. I've used it extensively as a post shave. After I rinse my face I use my baby finger to scoop some out of the jar then stroke it onto both cheeks and then rub it all over my wet face. I get no gloopy bits. Is their a possibility this is bits of skin or shaving cream? I've run out and not bought another jar for a few months so I'll have to head out to Shoppers and see if their current product is still good. They have changed the packaging of their shave cream so who knows.

Hey DuckDown. I've used it extensively as a post shave. After I rinse my face I use my baby finger to scoop some out of the jar then stroke it onto both cheeks and then rub it all over my wet face. I get no gloopy bits. Is their a possibility this is bits of skin or shaving cream? I've run out and not bought another jar for a few months so I'll have to head out to Shoppers and see if their current product is still good. They have changed the packaging of their shave cream so who knows.

Alacrity59 and YetiDave have it right. It was marketed as both a pre and post use product before Proraso changed the product line up. I've used it as both for a while now, including a recent purchase of the supposedly re-formulated product. I like the stuff so much I bought the large size of the product from one of the websites (ShaveNation?). The keys are moisture and, especially, small amounts as a post product. Good stuff.

Hi. It is not a post shave cream. However some people use it as post. I've tried it and it wasn't bad but I still like better a good aftershave balm.

Apply a little cream on dry skin after shaving. That's the way to use it.

This was the result when I tried to use it as a post-shave as well. There's just much better stuff out there to use post-shave IMO.

I have the new formula white and green Proraso and it says on the label that it is just a pre shave. I don't know if I would like to use it as an AS.

Yep I raised this in a couple of other threads with some curious responses.

The new stuff does not call itself a post shave product, nor does it behave like one. Can't understand why it would be used like that (I have the Green & White and the Grey & White and I like them both. As pre-shave products).

It won't hurt or irritate your skin as a post shave, and I haven't experienced any residues when I use it as such. As others have mentioned, one does not use very much when applying as a post shave. It will moisturize and soothe the freshly shaven skin.

FWIW, I have a jar of of the Proraso Pre-shave cream that is from about five years back, bought when Target dropped the line. No where on the jar is there mention of using it as a post shave product. But I don't see a problem if some gents use it for that.

I have applied it both ways, wet face and a dry face, and as both a pre and post cream. I find that you don't need as much and it goes on more evenly when it is applied to a slightly wet face. It is what I always use for a pre shave as I think it does a great job at "waking" up your face with the cooling sensation it provides. I also think it does a great job softening the beard for a shave. I take about 20-30 seconds to massage it into my beard before applying my lather. I have found that the more prep I do, examples: a nice hot shower, soaking my brush and my lather bowl in hot water while showering, and massaging proraso into my beard, the better the results of my shave no matter what cream I use. I will admit though that I have gotten away from proraso as a post shave only because I bought some nivea sensitive skin post shave balm that does a great job at moisturizing without leaving my skin feeling slick or oily. Dries very quickly too.

Can I just ask, what perceived benefit do people think it could have as a post-shave product ? OK so for some it doesn't leave a residue, but what does anyone think its doing for them ?

I find it hard to believe some are using the same product I have and it not leaving a residue on them.. How could it have such varying effects on people?

Odd

I think that there may be something going on that maybe the product is separating, I noticed some oily-ness when I opened the container initially.

Geofatboy has a Youtube video on how to properly use Proraso as a post cream. It may be helpful for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom