What's new

Price creep?

I haven’t had to buy a new soap for quite a while. I’m finally working my stash down to a reasonable amount and am looking at rebuying some of my favorites only to have a bit of sticker shock. Stirling is still a great deal at $14 and RazoRock is still under $10. But Fine, certain B&M formulations, WSP, Dr. Jon’s—all seem to be hitting $20+.

This seems to be more an artisan issue since Proraso, Cella, PdP, Tabac and other mass produced brands now look like bargains.

I've noticed that several artisans now have two lines of soap - vegan and tallow - and the price point between the two is noticeable. I agree with you that Proraso, Cella and Col Conk could be my friends for life once I use all of the soap on hand. Maybe one day I will realize the savings that was supposed to be the goal of wet shaving! Or I'll justify the soap savings for some other purchase.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’m trying not to buy software because I have so much especially artisan so recently I’ve been buying Proraso and like the price of course. Generally prices go up with artisan stuff anyway but the time to restock is during sales and/or free shipping offers.

My own educated suspicion is that in the cases of some makers, they are taking advantage of the growing popularity of their products. I noticed that with a couple of them which I won't name, their prices went up as much as 35-40% in around two years (or an even narrower time frame for some), and it began happening before COVID, so I don't think it's due to that or any of its effects on the economy. I look dimly on this phenomenon so will be making future purchase choices accordingly.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The "best" is when a maker starts cutting corners on quality/decreases product volume while raising the prices at the same time.
😒
That occurs across the board especially with restaurants. I think when the profit margins are so thin eventually they feel the need to take steps to make some money. I understand it especially after working long hours at a new business starting out.

I get it about restaurants, but some of these artisan companies have been around for many years now, have seen massive growth in their sales, and yet still do the concurrent watering down of quality/portion size decrease/substantial price increase thing. There's a lot less risk involved, too, since many shave products have longer shelf life than other sorts of goods out there (like your restaurant example).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I get it about restaurants, but some of these artisan companies have been around for many years now, have seen massive growth in their sales, and yet still do the concurrent watering down of quality/portion size decrease/substantial price increase thing. There's a lot less risk involved, too, since many shave products have longer shelf life than other sorts of goods out there (like your restaurant example).
All true. But the same desire to “make more money” drives these types of decisions. It’s a vicious circle obviously. Ultimately it will turn people off. There are a lot of choices out there. Money is tight all around folks who keep the fan base intact prevail.

Most of the price increases I've noticed have been when a new base is released that is supposedly better than the previous base. Better for who though is my question. Some of the newest artisan bases are too moisturizing for my skin type and I'm starting to shy away from them for that reason even though I like many of the scents.

All true. But the same desire to “make more money” drives these types of decisions. It’s a vicious circle obviously. Ultimately it will turn people off. There are a lot of choices out there. Money is tight all around folks who keep the fan base intact prevail.
This +1. WSP Barbershop is one of my favorite scents and I used to always have it--and not just the shave soap. I'd buy the aftershave, bath soap, bar shampoo, and hair clay all in the same scent. But the prices of all of them have gone up significantly (like 20% - 25%) and now it would cost me $100 to restock everything. But beyond the price, last time I bought a tin of WSP Barbershop, the scent was so weak I could hardly enjoy it. I'm sure there are other examples out there.

Obviously people are paying these new prices, and each artisan understands their business way better than I do. But I have to wonder how many will regret short-term profit chasing at the expense of formerly regular customers.

Top Bottom