What's new

Pre Vulfix and Simfix Major Comparison

Warning: I am not a good photographer, I didn't even own a camera until I needed to start IDing shaving stuff.

The brush on the left is a rebranded Simpson from REMO general store although the image on their site shows a regular Simpson Major mine is rebranded with the REMO name and the only thing that says Simpson is the box it comes in. I know its a Vulfix made brush because the REMO name and all other text on the brush is etched not just lamp black. This brush is slightly floppier than the other one but the loft on both brushes is so short and dense that they are fairly stiff.

The one on the right is a Pre Vulfix Simpson that dates from about 2000 that I got as NOS. This brushes handle is slightly smaller and the cover isn't as thick but the loft is taller. Also holding it in the light the machine marks from the lathe are visible, on the REMO brush they are not in fact I think the newer brush was made with some kind of jig given how perfect its shape is compared to the older brush.

Both brushes have bloomed, both brushes are Best grade hair.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Even with the change of ownership I'm amazed how much the brush has changed within a 10 year period.

I'm no expert and I'm speaking purely from observation. Could the clue for the difference in shape be in the letter designation for each brush here. This could not be such a stretch in view that Simpson has apparently produced different models and sizes that are no longer made; done even before the change of ownership.

The old Simpson you have has the 'F' designation whereas the new one (and also seen in the Lee's Razors pictures) has the 'A'. So that it doesn't refer to size, like the current 1-2-3-etc, but of a variation within a line??

I do agree the older, curvier is more appealing. With these sort of things and without a written, concrete history, things can be misconstrued.

I think your right about that.

Still, why pick the uglier shape and discontinue the nicer one?

Who knows. With all I'm saying just being conjecture, it could be one of a million reasons. :confused:

In a recent thread folks where lamenting the new Persian Jars did not look as curvy as the ones of old.

Nice brushes though, nice pair to have. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom