What's new

Pre-shave scrub?

After I got such a good shave after using my wife's Dermalogica Superfoliant before shaving, I started thinking about what other people might use as a pre-shave scrub. I've used sea salt, but found the grind I had a little harsh for my skin (I'll look for a finer grind). The Dermalogica was nice, but it's a bloody fortune for regular use. And while I've used the Harry's and Bulldog scrubs, I like the idea of using something like salt that completely goes into solution w/water + doesn't threaten my house's wonky plumbing.

Thx in advance,
-Z

You can scrub using another shaving brush and some facial soap. This works well and is not as harsh. For example, use glycerine soap like Neutrogena, or a face wash like CeraVe or Cetaphil with a brush.

Reactions: Fen
St. Ives apricot scrub. Hands down the way to go. Even the Equates version is great and they come in different scrubbing levels but i personally prefer the deep scrub. They make a few different versions currently so you should be able find one that fits you for 5$ or less. Any major store like target or wallmart will carry.

You can scrub using another shaving brush and some facial soap. This works well and is not as harsh. For example, use glycerine soap like Neutrogena, or a face wash like CeraVe or Cetaphil with a brush.
Gonna have to try this myself with the bar of imperial barber shave/face soap that I got lying around. Works both for cleaning the face and shaving, though I've only used it once for the last part. At least if the core idea here is a regular glycerine soap intended for cleaning your face daily.

If that is the case then I would suggest that particular soap due to its duality also.

I use St. Ives Apricot facial scrub and I like it. Before St. Ives, I used The Real Shaving Co. facial scrub. Unfortunately, no longer available where I live.

I use Jack Black Face Buff twice a week, and Jack’s Pure Clean Daily Face Cleanser the other days, always in the shower just before I shave. I have noticed a closer, easier shave on the days I use the Face Buff, but don’t think it would be a good idea to use it every day - too much exfoliation would likely create some irritation problems (for me anyway).

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
I use St Ives Blackhead Clearing Scrub on my face in shower before shaving, since I have oily skin. It seems to soften my beard a bit.

StIvesBlackheadScrub.png

I only shave every other day, so I'm not using the face scrub every day. The scrubbing granules are fairly aggressive and feels invigorating on my face.

-Phil

Of course, you may scrub your face as much as you want, but in my experience it serves no real purpose and the abrasive action of a scrub combined with the exfoliating action of a safety (let alone straight) razor may just be a little bit too much.

This is my experience from more that 15 years of daily safety/straight razor shaving whenever I used an exfoliating sponge. With these sponges, I have to be careful not to rub too hard or the after shave feeling may not be as comfortable as I like them to be.
In my experience, such sponges are gentle compared to some of the scrubs on the market.

Of course, your experience may be different, so if you should decide to use scrub as a pre-shave on a regular basis, let us know how it feels after a few weeks. :pipe:

B.

i have been using facial scrubs in the shower for over 35 years. I used Clinique for a very long time and have been using Kiehl's lately which I like very much. I started using it for skin care vs shaving at at 68 have very few wrinkles so there's that advantage. Since I use it every time I shower and always shave after I shower I have never shaved wthout it but after all these years I feel like my face isn't fully cleaned without it. I would never give it up.

Some days I use Olay facial scrub in the shower. Pretty gentle exfoliation. Shave right after the shower. Other days I use the Dove mens care daily facial cleanser. Less exfoliating but seems to clean well.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Whatever works for you. As a daily shaver, my skin would probably like a little less exfoliation than I get from my razor. I'm definitely not looking for any more than I currently get from soap and my hands.

Great concept!

I tried several ’scrubs’ (including some from LOTH) before deciding that CereVe face wash was as good. But definitely worth trying IMHO!

Currently using the Sainsbury's detoxification scrub which I find is good, also use the st ives range

No shower before shave I use Proraso exfoliating facial scrub.
Shower before shave I use Gabriel Cosmetics Exfoliator.

The proraso is fairly aggressive which I like. I guess I have tough skin though. I used to use a green pad as a loofah.

I just wash my face with regular bath soap and water to moisten whiskers and remove skin oils that can react with shaving soap and possibly decrease effectiveness.

Top Bottom