What's new

Pre Shave Oil

For me, it's a little annoying to get the oil on my hands and then try to handle my razor. Other than that, it's fine on my face, brush, or razor, because a soap or cream on top of the oil will very soon break it down, just like soap will remove your natural body oils. Soap + a rinse and the oil will be gone by the end of the shave.

I make my own pre shave oil using castor oil and jojoba oil plus various essential oils. This works as well or better than most any commercial pre shave I've tried and is MUCH less expensive. The only exceptions are the RazoRock Pre Barba and Jack Black MP10 oil which, while still more expensive, seem to outperform my own homemade pre shave oils.

I used to use Shave Secret and now use a homemade Secret Shave.

2oz Grapeseed oil
10 drops jojoba oil
5 drops tea tree oil
5 drops clove oil
I have read that 10drops EO per oz of oil is about max recommended so one could up the EO to 10drops if desired, I however don't much care for the smell of tea tree oil and this mix seems to replicate the original SS.

Last edited:
Grapeseed oil is available at the grocery store think I paid $7 for a 34oz bottle.
I bought the jojoba 4oz, 1oz tea tree, 1oz clove oil from GNC and spent appx another $20
I don't have a clue how long this would last but for under $30 it should last me at least 5-10yrs.

Last edited:
i have been using CHL for the last week or so, and I have to say, out of proraso pre(green and white), razorock pre barba, my homemade and noxema, CHL is ranking the highest. It gets nice and slick when applied after a splash of water, and the post shave feel has been great. YMMV of course.

i have been using chl for the last week or so, and i have to say, out of proraso pre(green and white), razorock pre barba, my homemade and noxema, chl is ranking the highest. It gets nice and slick when applied after a splash of water, and the post shave feel has been great. Ymmv of course.
chl?

Thanks to all who replied. Mr B- I will try your formula- just got a bottle of castor oil and will combine with the olive oil. Will wait to add scent until after I see how it works.

This beats the hell out of paying $15 or so for a little bottle of pre shave at AOS which I did recently. Some things just make sense.

Through other postings on B&B, I learned of, and have began using, three or four drops of glycerin on my shave soap of the day (SSOTD) along with an M&M peanut candy sized dollop of Bigelow shaving cream. For me, this yields a creamy extra slick lather.

For fun tomorrow, I may rub some glycerin directly on my face, and see if the shaving results are any different.

Our Super Target sells a 6 fluid ounce bottle of glycerin for $7.95 USD.

Last edited:
I would worry about washing oil residue down the sink- my wife nearly banned me from wet shaving early on because the shaving soap apparently had tallow which seemed to cause the sink to clog. I solved the problem by using an extra large oversize cup I got at Eddie Bauers- I fill it with hot tap water and use that to wet my brush and then to rinse off the razor between strokes, when I finish I pour the contents in the toilet. I then fill the cup and use that to rinse out the brush, as many times as it takes, that also goes in the toilet- then I flush when finished. Very little of the lather or residue gets in the sink using my method and I think the toilet plumbing can handle the shave residue far better than the sink pipes. Or at least I hope so.

I use raw shea butter. I take a very small amount and rub in wet hands and then apply to my beard. I let that sit for 3 or 4 minutes and rewet before I put on lather.

Top Bottom