What's new

Pre-shave oil

The only thing I've gotten out of pre-shave oils is having it gunk up my razor. I've gotten better results with using lotion or shea butter as a pre-shave moisturizer. I've tried 2 or 3 oils in the past and have recently tried the AOS oil. There wasn't anything special about the AOS one, at least to me. The rest of their products I've tried, I've loved.

my face was really starting to dry out using soap etc....so I have just been using Baby Oil for about 4 days now....works just as good as the somersets oil that I used a while ago....I use more baby oil than the somersets though....oils IS oils.

I don't know about you guys, but I stay away from mixing oils and cream/soap. I mean they are made of two different bases, and we all know oil and water don't mix!
I was taught that using oil, creates a barrier as all the other shave products we use are water based right? so the oil doesn't let the shave cream/soap get in touch with your face or the hairs.
If I need (not shaved for a couple of days) Igo with the trumpers face food (coral) and it works a treat. I have heard good things about CastleForbes pre shave also

my face was really starting to dry out using soap etc....so I have just been using Baby Oil for about 4 days now....works just as good as the somersets oil that I used a while ago....I use more baby oil than the somersets though....oils IS oils.

Nope...Mineral oil is a petroleum distillate...very hydrophobic. it will clog your pores. The oils in cremes/soaps is essentially fatty acids and hydrophilic (water loving)...the stuff that can be good for you and won;t clog your pores.

Not all oils are the same

I don't know about you guys, but I stay away from mixing oils and cream/soap. I mean they are made of two different bases, and we all know oil and water don't mix!
I was taught that using oil, creates a barrier as all the other shave products we use are water based right? so the oil doesn't let the shave cream/soap get in touch with your face or the hairs.
If I need (not shaved for a couple of days) Igo with the trumpers face food (coral) and it works a treat. I have heard good things about CastleForbes pre shave also

I thought soap worked by being able to bind both water and oil too it? Pretty sure I saw that on a documentary.

Not really true.

Go to qedusa.com and look for Pacific Shave oil, then read the experiment one of the qedusa users performed to make sure the shave oil would hurt neither your lather nor your brush. It's pretty impressive.

I've tried the Pacific Oil as a pre-shave and it didn't do much for me, I typically use Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap as a prewash, then rinse and relather the soap and put my lather on that.
I've also used skin food as a preshave, and it works good but is expensive.

Nope...Mineral oil is a petroleum distillate...very hydrophobic. it will clog your pores. The oils in cremes/soaps is essentially fatty acids and hydrophilic (water loving)...the stuff that can be good for you and won;t clog your pores.

Not all oils are the same

Although I agree with you on the pores clogging --

I note that Hawaiian Tropic tan oil is a mineral oil based product ?

I don't notice any difference when I use my Origin's Pre-shave oil. I do notice a difference with the Proraso Pre/Post cream though.

I think the most important thing is building the lather correctly.

I don't notice any difference when I use my Origin's Pre-shave oil. I do notice a difference with the Proraso Pre/Post cream though.

I think the most important thing is building the lather correctly.

Interesting

I use pre shave oil and a cheap foam (dollar tree extra thick)
and get what I think are great shaves

Least they make me happy :thumbup:

different stokes for different folks

I like putting sugar in some type of salt or other seasoning shaker. And when showering put a little salt in your hand and rub in to ur face not to much pressure. But just a rub, and pass it all over. Even all over your body. It doea a wonderful job exfoliating your skin. Your skin will feel like a B.B. If any of you try it let me know your feelings about it!!:thumbup1:

I'm a shave oil user. It doesn't make angels sing out of my razor or anything, but I do enjoy using it and find it makes an improvement.

Currently, I have Trumpers Citrus and Molton Brown Black Pepper, both quality products at opposite ends of the scent spectrum.

Top Bottom