What's new

Post office trouble

Mike H

Instagram Famous
On Saturday I attempted to mail out some pipe tobacco. The clerk asked me what was in the padded envelope and I told him pipe tobacco. They pulled up the regulations and cigars are allowed, smokeless tobacco and cigarettes must me shipped Express with signature required. Because pipe tobacco was not specifically allowed, they said it had to be sent express. I am pretty sure that is not carefree and pipe tobacco and cigars can be shipped unrestricted, but I could not find it on the USPS website.
Anyone know where I might find it in the regulations?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The problem I think is that pipe tobacco has been lumped together with rolling tobacco. There is no provision for “pipe Tobacco”. Next time might be have to lie and say cigars.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Luckily (so far) I’ve onky been asked about items on the danger list (lithium batteries, alcohol, etc). The first time after the list was read I said “no, just pipe tobacco). You would think I had said heroin from the reaction.

My niece from New Mexico sent me some tins of rolling tobacco some time ago.

Bless her....she described the contents as "Toffee Candy from Hawaii".....lol

I'm lucky I guess as I use a tiny P.O. in the back of a local stationery store and the ladies aren't particularly 'nosy' if you will.

On Saturday I attempted to mail out some pipe tobacco. The clerk asked me what was in the padded envelope and I told him pipe tobacco. They pulled up the regulations and cigars are allowed, smokeless tobacco and cigarettes must me shipped Express with signature required. Because pipe tobacco was not specifically allowed, they said it had to be sent express. I am pretty sure that is not carefree and pipe tobacco and cigars can be shipped unrestricted, but I could not find it on the USPS website.
Anyone know where I might find it in the regulations?

My post office only inquires when I ship international. Pipe tobacco and cigars are good to go.
https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52.pdf

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Wow I never knew this was even an issue. Maybe just say its medical marijuana. :cool2:

It’s all about the tax$$$$. States will lose out on tax revenue if they allows cigarettes to be shipped across state lines.

It’s all about the tax$$$$. States will lose out on tax revenue if they allows cigarettes to be shipped across state lines.
True that! Consider the idea of say going to North Carolina and filling a van up full of Carolina bought Cigs and trucking that up to say New York City where a pack of cigarettes is like 12 bucks you could make some serious money. But its a serious tax related offence. Contraband rings a bell.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That seems to be the popular choice nowadays.
I have had 3 international shipments disappear- now I only send US. Since I started going to another post office, they only want to know that it’s not on the dangerous substance list (lithium batteries, etc).

True that! Consider the idea of say going to North Carolina and filling a van up full of Carolina bought Cigs and trucking that up to say New York City where a pack of cigarettes is like 12 bucks you could make some serious money. But its a serious tax related offence. Contraband rings a bell.
Yea, the ATF isn't there to do quality control on cigarettes!

Top Bottom