What's new

Poll: Do Blades Perform Differently In Different Razors?

Do Blades Perform Differently in Different Razors?

• Yes - Blades perform differently in different razors

• No - Blade performance stays the same

Results are only viewable after voting.
Between AC blades the differences are huge. There are differences in sharpness, guards and even size of the blade, effectively varying the blade exposure.
If you are talking about DEs the differences are more subtle. A flexible blade (like the new premium derby) will flex more on a razor that holds the blade with tension (like an ATT) than one that holds it by clamps the blade closer to the edge (like a Wolfman). Don't even bother putting one of those blades on a very-slanted-slant.

Hey, Cal! I thought that I did! :tongue_sm I guess that I didn't explain myself well. OK. Let's just take blade width. More blade width means more blade exposure, while less blade width means less blade exposure. Blade width varies quite a bit among razor blades. A larger-width blade may work well in Razor A, but then become too harsh with too much blade exposure in Razor B. A smaller-width blade may be too inefficient in Razor A, but then become just right with the right amount of blade exposure for the user with Razor B. Does that help prove that blades perform differently in different razors? :001_smile
Indeed, blades design/characteristics differ from each other. That doesn't mean their design/characteristics change when you put them into a different razor. It's the razor design that changes their performance.

To quote from the OP: "Any difference in performance is down to the razor, not the blade."

I hope this debate doesn't go on forever. :laugh:

Indeed, blades design/characteristics differ from each other. That doesn't mean their design/characteristics change when you put them into a different razor. It's the razor design that changes their performance.

To quote from the OP: "Any difference in performance is down to the razor, not the blade."

Right. The OP asks whether blades perform differently in different razors and says that any difference is down to the razor. We agree with each other. The blade doesn't magically change when you switch it to another razor, but the razor-blade combination is what counts. A good-performing blade in one razor might not work so well in another.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Indeed, blades design/characteristics differ from each other. That doesn't mean their design/characteristics change when you put them into a different razor. It's the razor design that changes their performance.To quote from the OP: "Any difference in performance is down to the razor, not the blade."

So, the answer is yes, then. The blades performance changes with different razors. Of course it's the design that changes the blades performance, but the performance does change.

So, the answer is yes, then. The blades performance changes with different razors. Of course it's the design that changes the blades performance, but the performance does change.
:001_rolle We're getting into semantics here. I guess if you were to look at the poll questions with a wider perspective... both answers are correct.

Oh dear. Even I am beginning to wonder what the question means, and I'm the OP!!:a38: So apologies straight up if my wording wasn't clear.

This is the sort of thing I meant: "A GSB is a mediocre blade, but when paired with a Slim, it gives the best shave ever". It's a fictitious quote, but it indicates the point. I don't think that a mediocre blade suddenly changes when put in a particular razor: the qualities of the blade remain the same; a particular razor may highlight or suppress those qualities, but the issue is the razor, not the blade.

So, for me, a good blade is always a good blade, even when paired with a razor that doesn't deliver an especially good shave. And a bad blade will always be a bad blade, whichever razor it's in.

Hope that makes some sense... It should be an interesting debate, regardless!

Oh dear. Even I am beginning to wonder what the question means, and I'm the OP!!:a38: So apologies straight up if my wording wasn't clear.

This is the sort of thing I meant: "A GSB is a mediocre blade, but when paired with a Slim, it gives the best shave ever". It's a fictitious quote, but it indicates the point. I don't think that a mediocre blade suddenly changes when put in a particular razor: the qualities of the blade remain the same; a particular razor may highlight or suppress those qualities, but the issue is the razor, not the blade.

So, for me, a good blade is always a good blade, even when paired with a razor that doesn't deliver an especially good shave. And a bad blade will always be a bad blade, whichever razor it's in.

Hope that makes some sense... It should be an interesting debate, regardless!
That's pretty much how I read it and still agree. I have no razors that are only good withe certain blades, a no blades that are only good with certain razors.
Differences in blades are differences in blades no matter the razor.

Top Bottom