What's new

Polishing Brass

I am turning to the collective wisdom of the B & B members. I have a manual coffee grinder that has a brass handle and I was unsure of the best way to polish it. I have Maas polish but thought perhaps there was something better for brass. Any ideas?

I am turning to the collective wisdom of the B & B members. I have a manual coffee grinder that has a brass handle and I was unsure of the best way to polish it. I have Maas polish but thought perhaps there was something better for brass. Any ideas?

Dunno about in the US, but in Oz, we have Brasso for Brass and Silvo for Silver and Gold. Think the only difference is really just the abrasiveness........

I have used Brasso for years and it works very well. If you have a buffing wheel you can use jewlers rouge and it will do wonders.

It looks like a landslide from Brasso! :biggrin: I'll have to run out and get some. I have Barkeeper's friend and Maas at home but was afraid they might be too abrasive.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I use walnut or corn media and a little car wax. Throw it in my vibratory tumbler and works like a charm.

Brasso would work to

Brasso is great. Nevr-dull also works well. Just to be on the safe side, wrap a clean cloth or something around the rest of the grinder to mask it so that you only get the polish on the brass.

Brasso might be okay for the occasional clean-up on a brass razor, where the metal is much thicker than on, say, a trumpet bell. It's not good for brass - at least brass musical instruments. It removes the zinc disproportionately, weakening the metal.

I would recommend TarniShield (by 3M) for copper and brass.

Brasso might be okay for the occasional clean-up on a brass razor, where the metal is much thicker than on, say, a trumpet bell. It's not good for brass - at least brass musical instruments. It removes the zinc disproportionately, weakening the metal.

Where can you find Tarnishield? Is my best bet to buy it online?

A big +1 on that. As a tuba player, I would not
let brasso anywhere near my horn. Of course, the lacquer on my tuba is still in tact, so it's not a concern, anyway. Personally, I like the dull look of raw brass, after the patina has formed.

I wouldn't bother ordering something on line. If this is just the handle that you crank on a coffee grinder, Brasso will be fine. You can get it anywhere--certainly your local hardware or department store. I had a big brass Marine Corps seal on the door of an office that I used to have. I'm pretty sure that someone had shined it with Brasso every day for about forty years before I moved in. It looked fantastic.

neverdull used it in the navy cleaning brightworks(brass) and it worked wonders could get a mirror finish off it

Top Bottom