What's new

Please recommend me an aquatic with staying power!

I love the length and breadth of the marine genre. Make it woodsy, spicy, fougere, whatever, I still like it to a greater or lesser extent.

However, when comparing some of my initial favorite cheap fragrances (Cool Water, Voyager, Brut Oceans) to designer perfumes, the place they really fall short is in longevity.

I have worn a sample of Versace Eros lately, and while it's not a scent I would buy, it's pretty pleasant and a couple of sprays lasts all day.

I would love to find a higher end aquatic that sticks around similarly. I have been eyeing the Bvlgari Aqva line and PR Invictus. Any thoughts on those or recommendations for other scents in this niche?

I get decent longevity from Bvlgari Aqva (the OG), Marine, and Amara. I also can wear Cool Water all day, so I'm not sure what problem you are having with its staying power. No other aquatic in my collection has what I would describe as "great" longevity.

Cool Water is definitely stronger than the others. Nothing like Eros, though.

Thanks for the thought. I am going to acquire some Bvlgari samples.

"Aquatic" scent is a somewhat fuzzy genre, and covers a broad range of scents.
FWIW, here are two that I might offer for your consideration.
Happy hunting!

aquatics.jpg

I wore Bvgari Aqua Marine for a while and the drydown was nice but whooo that opening smelled like seagulls feasting on fish on a dirty pier. Enough time has passed for Aqua di Gio to be in style again I think. 20 years ago it was over used. It was all you could smell wherever you went. I find a lot of perfumers will use the words Fraiche, Blue, Spirit, thisngs that sound light and airy for an aquatic scent. That may be a good place to start.

Good feedback - I ended up ordering Bvlgari Aqva Atlantiqve after looking through the Aqva line. It should be here in a few days. I also grabbed a Tommy Bahama scent (St. Bart's), because they appeal to me in a similar vein.

here are two that
I too love the scent of T&H Trafalgar cream and Soap. I also have the aftershave balm and I find something is off with the scent. There's a greasy- milky kind of scent going on there. I dont get this at all from the cream or Soap.

You would't happen to have tried both the cologne/EDT and Aftershave?
I'm asking because I would love an EDT or cologne with the scent I love but I would be dissapointed if it smelled like the balm.

Thanks in advance!

Not to completly hijack your topic I might actually have an interesting suggestion.

Saponificio varesino - 70th anniversary is a great scent, I only have the AS though so can't comment on the longevity of the EDP/T. I do find the AS to last me to about 3 pm, so pretty long.

Scent notes:
Screenshot_20220206_212900.jpg

I too love the scent of T&H Trafalgar cream and Soap. I also have the aftershave balm and I find something is off with the scent. There's a greasy- milky kind of scent going on there. I dont get this at all from the cream or Soap.

You would't happen to have tried both the cologne/EDT and Aftershave?
I'm asking because I would love an EDT or cologne with the scent I love but I would be dissapointed if it smelled like the balm.

Thanks in advance!

Don't have the Trafalgar aftershave or balm, only the cologne.
your balm might have had some heat damage, causing the oils to get musty smell.
way back, i had opportunity to get the full cologne collection at a good price.
trafalgar was nice but a few others got more of my attention...1805, grafton, lime, sandalwood.
overall, excellent juices albeit pricey.

truefitt hill colognes-5246s.jpg

Could you let us know if you get the "seagull feasting on fish on a dirty pier" opening?
The stuff looks interesting and affordable but maxman's description doesn't seem that appealing...

Thx!
Just to be clear, I got Bvlgari Aqva Atlantiqve - I believe that quote was in reference to the Aqva Marine.

The Atlantiqve has a fresh, fruity, amber vibe to it that I enjoy. It is not as water/sea note forward as a couple others I have. I could do with a bit more of the marine note, honestly, and so I think Aqva Marine might be an acquisition (acqvisition?) at some point in the fvtvre.

L’Eau D’Issey Pour Homme might be up your alley.
Staying power galore on this one. I would not have said it was an aquatic, though.

"Aquatic" scent is a somewhat fuzzy genre, and covers a broad range of scents.
I agree with this. I generally think of aquatic as referring a prominent note from the perfume ingredient calone, which, say, Cool Water has a lot of. My sense is that if the aquatic scent noire you are getting or looking for is from calone, the scent is only going going to have so much in the way of legs. I would say should still be of medium longevity but calone is inherently not so, so long lasting. But I also think of Creed Silver Mountain Water as an aquatic, but I to not think the major notes there are from calone. Good longevity, if I recall. Creed Virgin Island Water might be considered an aquatic, too, and there was a time when it was a great fragrance with decent longevity. The current version is a mere shadow of the original though.

Then there are At the Beach type frags that could still be considered aquatics that smell like one brand of sunscreen or another to me. Imaginary Authors "Falling Into the Sea" is an example and I think the longevity is good. Bond No. 9 "Fire Island" is another and has good longevity. Then there are driftwood/seawater/iodine scents that could be considered aquatics, often with a lot of vetiver. Heeley Sal Marin is one with decent legs. Annick Goutal "Vetiver" for men, is very much in that vein, but as I recall it was, sadly, discontinued a while back and would be dear to obtain at this point. The feminine version is very different.

If you are looking for a long lasting aquatic , might I suggest Petit Matin from Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Notes consist of lemon, orange blossom, musk, lavender, ambroxan, and hawthorn.
One of my all time favorite aquatics

Staying power galore on this one. I would not have said it was an aquatic, though.

I agree with this. I generally think of aquatic as...

Then there are At the Beach type frags...

I'm a fragrance simpleton, so I'm not sure how to address your thoughts here other than the "At the Beach" type scents have never done it for me, and I believe it's the former bucket to which I'm attracted.

When I look at those scents that I know I really like, there are a few crossover notes that I see (calone is not explicitly one of them outside of Cool Water, but I'm really just looking at the Fragrantica Notes) - generally Amber, Benzoin, and generic sea/water "notes" (which may be calone?).

I do have some decisive results from my flailing about here, though: the Bvlgari is remarkably longer-lasting than anything else aquatic that I have tried, and it smells great to me, to boot.

I love the length and breadth of the marine genre. Make it woodsy, spicy, fougere, whatever, I still like it to a greater or lesser extent.

However, when comparing some of my initial favorite cheap fragrances (Cool Water, Voyager, Brut Oceans) to designer perfumes, the place they really fall short is in longevity.

I have worn a sample of Versace Eros lately, and while it's not a scent I would buy, it's pretty pleasant and a couple of sprays lasts all day.

I would love to find a higher end aquatic that sticks around similarly. I have been eyeing the Bvlgari Aqva line and PR Invictus. Any thoughts on those or recommendations for other scents in this niche?
Two scents which last a good amount of time for me are Bvlgari Aqua Amara and Dole&Gabbana Light Blue Intense. The sea note stands out in both.

I guess, as I think about it, calone is more an ingredient than a note, and as I recall there is more than one calone. So it is probably correct that they are similar generic versions, too. The smell of calone definitely dominates Cool Water

Last edited:
Top Bottom