What's new

Please help me decide - Shavemac/Paladin/Declaration/BSSW brush for my wedding in Italy!

Which brush should I buy for my upcoming wedding in Italy?

• Total voters
Hi everyone! After some intense research on Badger and Blade I have finally come down to some final contenders.

I would love your help to choose one of these for my upcoming wedding in Italy! It's going to be between these guys:
  • Paladin PK-47 (2-Band 26mm knot)
  • Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip (24mm knot, 50mm loft, Bulb/fan?)
  • Shavemac 3-Band Silvertip (24mm knot, 50mm loft, Bulb/fan?)
  • Declaration B6 24mm knot (Bulb/fan?)
  • Brad Sears 2-Band Silvertip (24mm knot, 50mm loft, Bulb/fan?)
Looking for something soft with good backbone, little to no flopping, lathers easily and releases lather easily, great for either bowl/face lathering, no scratching feeling, balanced density (not like the D01 for Shavemac) and great with hard soaps (I use Haslinger). Thank you!

I voted Paladin PK-47 because it’s the one I most have interest in getting off that list...a Harlequin one.

Was a Saponificio Varesino considered? They are certainly beautiful!

I don’t, but a few of my shaving buddies have one or two. Very classy and they enjoy them. Same guys also have Paladins among other things.

By the way, congratulations!

I don't know too much about these newer brands, but is it right that shavemac is the only one of these that is traditionally hand tied? If somebody wants a 'special' or heirloom brush, id strongly point them to a traditional maker; shavemac, Simpson's, Plisson, thater et al.

I have nearly all the brushes mentioned and they are all excellent. It's a very close call between the Declaration Grooming B6 and Shavemac 2 band Silvertip, but I give the nod to the B6.

Of those listed I've used all but the Declaration, which I will have to try some day. However, for consistent quality the Shavemac two-band silvertip takes a lot of beating. Only my DaVinci Uomo and M&F Blonde are in the same league.

I have two shavemac knots, one is a “finest” installed by Rudy Vey. Very soft, lacks some backbone and could be denser. The other is a two band silver tip that is nearly perfect.

However, the knot I had put in by Declaration in a third brush is unreal - it’s an entirely different league from the shavemacs (which are truly great knots in their own right!).

For a once in a lifetime like your wedding day, I really feel like Declaration is the way to go.

Any brush from any of the top makers is a good investment. If a brush were available I’d go with a Black Eagle or The Varlet. Declaration is wonderful too, but a tad egotistical

Top Bottom