What's new

Plastic Scale Hole Repair Ideas?

Hi Everyone,
So I am working on my first "restoration". Its a generic Solingren blade with what seem to be plastic scales. I didn't want to start with one of my nicer razors, just in case. While I have been learning a lot through the process, I ran into one problem. I don't have a drill press yet. While I was unpinning the razor, I let my drill slip ever so slightly and hit the scale right next to the pin hole. While I didn't drill through the scale, there is a small hole in the scale now. I do not think that it will be an issue when I repin the razor. But for cosmetic purposes, I would like to try and fill it and smooth it out.

Has anyone had any success with a product for doing this? The scales are black, so something tinted to match would be awesome. I keep researching online, but mostly I am finding cracked scale repairs with adhesives. Sure I could replace the scales, but this is more of a learning experience than a restore. Honestly the blade is not worth putting anything nice or hand made on.

No sure it would work but Keith did a rework awhile back where he sanded the scales down some and saved the dust and mixed it with an epoxy and then used that to patch the scales, not sure it would work with plastic as his were horn but I don't see a reason it wouldn't.

A dab of thick CA (super glue) works well on most materials and is easier to shape when cured. Or use epoxy, been the standard patch material for everything for decades.

You can get tinted epoxy (or regular and add a drop of color). Fill over to slightly over sized, sand flush and it should work

Thank you all for the replies! I guess I will be stopping by the hardware store on the way home to see what they have.

Top Bottom