What's new

PIPE! Presenting, for your enjoyment, The 2014 B&B Brown Leaf LE Pipe!

I have been remiss in posting Number 11. It arrived late last Saturday, but I had too many things going on to give it a go then - followed by a Sunday where the weather didnt cooperate. I want to give this a proper break-in and my next oppty looks to be on Sunday, but until then.......

$Tinsky_2014a.jpg

$Tinsky_2014b.jpg

My OCD kicked in, the need for sequential order

Pipe #Owner
1/24WithTheGrain: Smooth
2/24Hirsute: Smooth
3/24Blue_2: Smooth
4/24bk124tt: Smooth
5/24Whiskey Badger: Smooth
6/24spazchowww: Smooth
7/24Senshi: Smooth
8/24Mapster: Smooth
9/24nortac: Smooth
10/24
11/24Tim_McD: Smooth
12/24
13/24jiminyshiznit: Smooth (coolest pic and number so far)
14/24Price: Smooth
15/24Riff Raff: B&T
16/14seanmckay: B&T
17/2473Mountaineer: B&T
18/24cursethis: B&T
19/24Whiskey Badger: B&T
20/24inkcoffee: B&T (with super special amber stem)
21/24Borderdog: B&T
22/24Shave_Rat: B&T
23/24cwf71: B&T
24/24

Last edited:
My OCD kicked in, the need for sequential order

Pipe #Owner
1/24WithTheGrain: Smooth
2/24Hirsute: Smooth
3/24Blue_2: Smooth
4/24bk124tt: Smooth
5/24Whiskey Badger: Smooth
6/24spazchowww: Smooth
7/24Senshi: Smooth
8/24Mapster: Smooth
9/24nortac: Smooth
10/24
11/24Tim_McD: Smooth
12/24
13/24jiminyshiznit: Smooth (coolest pic and number so far)
14/24Price: Smooth
15/24Riff Raff: B&T
16/14seanmckay: B&T
17/2473Mountaineer: B&T
18/24cursethis: B&T
19/24Whiskey Badger: B&T
20/24inkcoffee: B&T (with super special amber stem)
21/24Borderdog: B&T
22/24Shave_Rat: B&T
23/24cwf71: B&T
24/24

Very nice!

Gents, I have reached out to Mark to see if he can shed some light on the variances that we have seen with the pipe stamping and coloration. I know you all seem pleased with the pipes, with maybe one or two exceptions that would have preferred the darker stain or vice versa, but I would at least like to hear some type of explanation from Mark. I am sure he will be able to shed some light on things.

As long as you are happy, I am happy. Thank you all for your kind words in support of this project.

Gents, I have reached out to Mark to see if he can shed some light on the variances that we have seen with the pipe stamping and coloration. I know you all seem pleased with the pipes, with maybe one or two exceptions that would have preferred the darker stain or vice versa, but I would at least like to hear some type of explanation from Mark. I am sure he will be able to shed some light on things.

As long as you are happy, I am happy. Thank you all for your kind words in support of this project.

I think, collectively, we are all pretty damn happy with this pipe, Steve.

Mark of course would be the definitive answer, but I asked a couple pipe-making hobbyists I know, and they both indicated that the choice of stain was likely dictated by the grain pattern. A darker stain (such as Mark's "cabernet") looks great if there's tight birdseye on the crown, a lighter contrast (such as the "pristine") really pops if there's strong flame or straight grain on the walls. Again, this is just someone else's opinion - Mark may have just flipped a coin. :blink:

Mark of course would be the definitive answer, but I asked a couple pipe-making hobbyists I know, and they both indicated that the choice of stain was likely dictated by the grain pattern. A darker stain (such as Mark's "cabernet") looks great if there's tight birdseye on the crown, a lighter contrast (such as the "pristine") really pops if there's strong flame or straight grain on the walls. Again, this is just someone else's opinion - Mark may have just flipped a coin. :blink:

Well, I just got off of the phone with the man himself and it turns out that this theory hits the nail right on the head. The designation as pristine or cabernet was driven by the qualities of the grain. If anyone is unhappy with the coloration of their pipe, please contact Mark directly and he will hand sand the pipe and reapply the stain. I told him I don't think that will be necessary, but the option is available as he wants everyone to be 100% happy with their pipes.

If there are any issues with any of the pipes, smooth or black & tan, please let Mark know. He is totally committed to all of his customers being happy with their pipes, with no exceptions.

Well, I just got off of the phone with the man himself and it turns out that this theory hits the nail right on the head. The designation as pristine or cabernet was driven by the qualities of the grain. If anyone is unhappy with the coloration of their pipe, please contact Mark directly and he will hand sand the pipe and reapply the stain. I told him I don't think that will be necessary, but the option is available as he wants everyone to be 100% happy with their pipes.

If there are any issues with any of the pipes, smooth or black & tan, please let Mark know. He is totally committed to all of his customers being happy with their pipes, with no exceptions.

The man knows what the briar needs, who am I to second guess? Thanks for the info though, Mark isn't the only one committed to our happiness with these pipes. :thumbup:

Pristine or Cabernet both of these pipes look beautiful. I'd be happy with either.

The stamp and the group of gents that share it with me are more important IMO

+1 I got the Cabernet and love the way it looks. I'm just glad no one made me choose between the two stains, I might have wound up with one of each.

Price, did you communicate telepathically with Mark? :tongue_sm

Top Bottom