What's new

Pilot Metropolitan vs Pilot MR

So I went looking for a Pilot Metropolitan FP today but it seems they only have the MR here in Malaysia. I tried asking the sales for the difference between them but he didn't really know. So have anyone here tried the Pilot MR? How does it compare to the Metropolitan?

It is the same pen. MR uses international cartridges and Metropolitan uses proprietary Pilot cartridges. Everything else is the same.

Ah, so I'll need to get an international converter?
Also I came across a pilot 88g, looks very similar to the metropolitan as well. Is it also the same thing?

For MR you'll need international converter. I never knew 88g exists until now. As I can see it is other name for this pen and seems to actually be Japanese version called Cocoon which uses proprietary cartridges, but I could be wrong.

Tried to google the 88g and it seems that only chinese sites came up. Maybe its the Chinese version of the Metropolitan, just like we have the MR over here?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ah, so I'll need to get an international converter?
Also I came across a pilot 88g, looks very similar to the metropolitan as well. Is it also the same thing?

Usually, the pens come with a converter.

Do you mean "78g"? The 78g is very similar to the Metropolitan (same nib/feed, different body). You can get them from Ebay sellers in Hong Kong for cheap, and come with a couple cartridges and a converter.

Usually, the pens come with a converter.

Do you mean "78g"? The 78g is very similar to the Metropolitan (same nib/feed, different body). You can get them from Ebay sellers in Hong Kong for cheap, and come with a couple cartridges and a converter.

Nope, I meant the 88g. It looks almost if not identical to the metropolitan. Each color comes in three different variations though. The smooth non-matte part in the center on the pen could be plain, dotted or have little x's on them.

Finally got the Pilot MR! The nib is much finer than the Pelikano Jr even though both have medium sized nibs. Loaded it up with Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green ink and it wrote pretty well. This will be my new daily driver and will be using the Pelikano as a highlighter :001_rolle

$20140530_033007.jpg

I ordered the medium nib to which i was so excited how well it wrote that i handed it to my swmbo.. who couldn't get it to work and set it down on the desk where it rolled off and smashed the nib.:a31:

so i ordered another one in a fine tip. Just got it today, filled up the cartridge with ink and went to go wash my hands and the (her) cat jumped up on the desk and knocked it off.:cursing:

I just cant win.

I was however able to get this one to write but it seems a bit scratchy to me. The nib still looks perfect despite the fall. Is anyone else noticing its lack of smoothness on the fine nib compared to the medium?

fine nibs, specially Asian fine nibs, nees very light touches but even then sometimes will not give you the feeling your after. .the medium's larger tip material puts that much more surface area down to not catch on the page

It seems to be smoothing out a little I think. It could just be me. So far I've scribbled a full converter full of pelican brilliant black onto a few different types of paper. It's a great pen for the price. Might buy another medium anyway... Maybe bigger

I can't speak to the lubrication of the brilliant black, but I do have a little experience with the Metro-fine. Using my default ink (X-feather), it seemed a little scratchy. I washed it out, checked the tines, gave a little adjustment (at least, I think I did) and loaded it up with Borealis Black. Like a different pen. Much, much smoother. The tines are fine, the pen is cleaned regularly. I wish I could use it with the X-feather, but I'll probably try to keep a fairly wet ink in it for regular use.

Regarding the Metro vs. MR ... the color choices are (or used to be) different and the converter as was noted already. The other significant difference that I've noticed is the price. The MR appears to be about twice as much as the Metro. :blink:

Top Bottom