What's new

Pelikan M600 or M800 Green - Black

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats! Enjoy the M600 and good luck snagging an M800. I look forward to reading your comparison.

Congrats on the M600. Congrats on homeownership as well...a challenging but rewarding endeavor (at least that has been my experience).

Hello everybody, hope you are all fairing well wherever you are.
I'm interested in buying one of these Pelikans, but am undecided which one. There is a small price difference between one and the other.
I will get a medium nib, for sure.
I've read a few reviews on the pens and have not yet made up my mind.
I like medium to big pens.
I like a nib that is not like a nail, although I know Pelikans are not exactly 'soft', so I hope a medium nib might take care of this.
I do not know if the green-black M600-M800 behave in the same way as the other coloured ones.
So I have big Wancher, MB, Ranga, Delta, Jinhao, Waterman, Parker as well as small ones like Kaweco, MB, Parker and a few others.

I have a Pelikan 120 and I believe an M250 already, a bit small, so how do the M600 and M800 compare to these two Pelikans ?

My local pen shop just closed for a two week holiday, just when I called to arrange an appointment to go and have a look at them, his loss :)

Suggestions please :)
Thank you
I have an M805 Broad nib. I love it.

I could not resist, silly me. I got the M800 with an F nib. It definitely is a bit bigger than the M600 as you all pointed out. It is still small compared to the MB 149 and Delta Dolcevita Medium. With this I mean that the M800 section is still smaller than the other two. The M600 weighs 18 grams and the M800 weighs 28 grams but I can't tell the difference while writing. The M nib is a bit 'wet' while the F nib is an F nib. I'm undecided which I like more. the M600 is a normal pen, in my opinion. The M800 is a bit beefier and has my appreciation. I would like to swap the F nib with an M but I have to send the pen back for them to change nib, this is a bit annoying and I'm against it. Am a bit undecided :-(

I could not resist, silly me. I got the M800 with an F nib. It definitely is a bit bigger than the M600 as you all pointed out. It is still small compared to the MB 149 and Delta Dolcevita Medium. With this I mean that the M800 section is still smaller than the other two. The M600 weighs 18 grams and the M800 weighs 28 grams but I can't tell the difference while writing. The M nib is a bit 'wet' while the F nib is an F nib. I'm undecided which I like more. the M600 is a normal pen, in my opinion. The M800 is a bit beefier and has my appreciation. I would like to swap the F nib with an M but I have to send the pen back for them to change nib, this is a bit annoying and I'm against it. Am a bit undecided :-(

We have a saying around here: if you have to ask which pen you should buy, you're going to end up getting both at some point. Congratulations! I knew that the brass piston assembly gave the M800 a greater weight, but I didn't realise that the difference was that great. I hope you find a way out of your quandary with the nib size.

Solved. I sent the pen back and asked for a refund.
I already have the M600, pointless to have both. Actually I should have waited and got only the M800 but such is life.
It is a nice pen but both is a waste, same colours as well. What made me return it is also the fact that I had to ship the whole pen back, the shop wouldn't send me only the nib.
The other shop, where I bought the M600, told me that if I wasn't happy with the supplied nib they were going to send me another one. Different approach. Regards and thank you

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We have a saying around here: if you have to ask which pen you should buy, you're going to end up getting both at some point. Congratulations! I knew that the brass piston assembly gave the M800 a greater weight, but I didn't realise that the difference was that great. I hope you find a way out of your quandary with the nib size.

"Which of these two should I get?" Means you .... Get all three.

Solved. I sent the pen back and asked for a refund.
I already have the M600, pointless to have both. Actually I should have waited and got only the M800 but such is life.
It is a nice pen but both is a waste, same colours as well. What made me return it is also the fact that I had to ship the whole pen back, the shop wouldn't send me only the nib.
The other shop, where I bought the M600, told me that if I wasn't happy with the supplied nib they were going to send me another one. Different approach. Regards and thank you

The only Pelikan pens I have are 205 and 215 ... but if memory serves, the nib unit is just manually unscrewed. Seems an easy task for anyone with an opposable thumb ... so why would they not let you do it?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have Pelikans from 200-1000, but the 800 are my favorites, I think I have four of them, but only one 600. The 1000 is way too big for me, just my personal preferences. For shirtpocket carry, 200 or 400 are perfect, 600 fits most, but 800 are a tad too big.

I have Pelikans from 200-1000, but the 800 are my favorites, I think I have four of them, but only one 600. The 1000 is way too big for me, just my personal preferences. For shirtpocket carry, 200 or 400 are perfect, 600 fits most, but 800 are a tad too big.

+1. My exact situation.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I had an 800 as well as a 1050 but both have gone to Forever Homes. I much prefer the original 600 which was the same size as the 200/400.

Honestly? I prefer the M800 to the M600 but I could not return it so the M800 had to go also adding the fact that I could not change the nib myself. We all discuss about a greener planet and all this crap but to me the idea of packages travelling back and forth between users and shops is not my idea of a greener earth. So the M800 lost :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Honestly? I prefer the M800 to the M600 but I could not return it so the M800 had to go also adding the fact that I could not change the nib myself. We all discuss about a greener planet and all this crap but to me the idea of packages travelling back and forth between users and shops is not my idea of a greener earth. So the M800 lost :)
Yup. The 1050, 800 and current size 600 all went to forever homes. The 200, 400 and first version 600 all stayed. There's no reason you could not change the nib yourself other than the dealer you bought from and there are lots of places that sell Pelikan nibs.

What is done is done. But why would I want to buy a new nib, with the cost it entailed, when all I wanted was to change the one it came with?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
That's why it's always better to ask questions before you buy and to buy the seller as well as the object.

A lower price is often not the better bargain.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thinking more about it, I start to see the vendor's point of view ... in that while nib swapping can be a relatively straightforward process, it still requires some manual dexterity and finesse, and there will be some customers who will potentially fall short and damage the nib unit in the process.

Obviously, the vendor wants to re-sell the old nib unit again, and I could see some hesitancy on the part of customers to accept a pen with a nib that "someone" had been screwing around with (pardon the pun).

No, I'm not saying the OP would damage the nib unit.

But the only way the vendor knows if the vendor is in charge of the swapping ... and other customers might trust the vendor's abilities, but not "some guy" the vendor never met.

Top Bottom