What's new

Pearl SBF-11 TTO OC razor review

I guess this one just came on the market, it's a replica of the one by @Double_Edgez but with a black finish. What a beast, I'm very tempted to order one. I know, as if I didn't have enough razors already. It never ends, lol.

Pearl_SBF-11FB_Twist_To_Open_Open_Comb_Double_Edge_Razor_eBay_-_2017-07-09_18.19.43.png

I guess this one just came on the market, it's a replica of the one by @Double_Edgez but with a black finish. What a beast, I'm very tempted to order one. I know, as if I didn't have enough razors already. It never ends, lol.

View attachment 803046

No, it never ends.............

I love open comb TTO razors. I have the standard vintage Gillette models and love them.

A few years ago I saw a OC TTO on Amazon. I believe it was a Pearl and came with 50 Lazer blades. The razor was ok, on the mild side nothing really special about it.

Along comes this razor. The Pearl SBF-11FB. Well it ended up in my mailbox.

The build is very good. Finish is also very good. The razor is med closer to aggressive. It is a very smooth well behaved razor. The head, face shave was very close. It almost shaved by itself. For the price you can't go wrong.

I think it will bunk well with my other Pearl OC three piece L-55. The L-55 is a beast rivaling my R41.

Eye candy below.

Cheers
John

IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    649 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    618 KB · Views: 24
No, it never ends.............

I love open comb TTO razors. I have the standard vintage Gillette models and love them.

A few years ago I saw a OC TTO on Amazon. I believe it was a Pearl and came with 50 Lazer blades. The razor was ok, on the mild side nothing really special about it.

Along comes this razor. The Pearl SBF-11FB. Well it ended up in my mailbox.

The build is very good. Finish is also very good. The razor is med closer to aggressive. It is a very smooth well behaved razor. The head, face shave was very close. It almost shaved by itself. For the price you can't go wrong.

I think it will bunk well with my other Pearl OC three piece L-55. The L-55 is a beast rivaling my R41.

Eye candy below.

Cheers
John

View attachment 804215 View attachment 804216 View attachment 804217 View attachment 804218 View attachment 804219

I've been looking at it too. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking for something really aggressive and I've been wanting one of those because of the color. There's also the Facon limited edition black handle/head but the handle has no grip and the head is too mild for me. I'll put yours on my watch list and probably order it this weekend, thanks for the pictures because I was wondering about that.

I'm looking for something really aggressive and I've been wanting one of those because of the color. There's also the Facon limited edition black handle/head but the handle has no grip and the head is too mild for me. I'll put yours on my watch list and probably order it this weekend, thanks for the pictures because I was wondering about that.

I am a fan of very aggressive razors. I would consider it med to aggressive favoring the aggressive side.

Today's shave was with a Feather blade and it was very close and very smooth. I found the razor very grippy and comfortable too.

Here is another nice black razor. I have the silver version and it gives a very, very close shave.

RazoRock BLACK HAWK Single Edge Razor - V2 – ItalianBarber

Or how about a graphite Parker Variant. Hands down one of the best razors on the market now. Mild to wild just change the setting.

Parker Variant Adjustable Safety Razor - Graphite

Cheers
John

Last edited:
Alright you convinced me, I ordered the beast. Also ordered a couple of new zippos, figured why not go for broke. If I don't spend it, somebody else will.

I am a fan of very aggressive razors. I would consider it med to aggressive favoring the aggressive side.

Today's shave was with a Feather blade and it was very close and very smooth. I found the razor very grippy and comfortable too.

Here is another nice black razor. I have the silver version and it gives a very, very close shave.

RazoRock BLACK HAWK Single Edge Razor - V2 – ItalianBarber

Or how about a graphite Parker Variant. Hands down one of the best razors on the market now. Mild to wild just change the setting.

Parker Variant Adjustable Safety Razor - Graphite

Cheers
John

I find the blade flexes way too much in my Variant, so much so that I need to use at least one shim. But it's quite efficient even on 1. It should be mild there, but there's so little support for the blade I find it harsh.

The OC Pearl butterfly has some blade flex, but nothing too bad, plus if I try lifting the blade by the tabs when the door is almost closed, I can get the blade to bend more in the head and the shave gets a lot milder, while remaining fairly efficient. Because there's a generous amount of space between the pins/plates that stabilise a blade against the door and the door itself, it can actually be shimmed without issues and without damaging the mechanism. It's quite an interesting razor.

The coating of the all black one makes it look thicker than the chromed version, but it might be just a seeming.

I just shaved with the dark version of this razor, the Pearl SBF-11FB. I had read about the blade exposure, so I held off from using a fresh Feather for the first shave. I used a new Personna Red. Personna Red's haven't really struck me as aggressive blades in the past. But three passes with a Red in the Pearl have shown me a different side of the blades.
My Pearl is a 4" version, a little longer than I prefer. It was a bit handle heavy, and felt a little cheaply built. But the shave proved that this razor has potential. I plan on changing the setup a tad next go round. I'm going to try a shim on top of the blade to help secure it. All in all, it was $22 well spent.

I used the all-chrome version of this razor this morning, loaded with a new Voskhod blade. I used cold water and Williams shaving soap.

Had a great shave. Efficient. Somewhere in the middle of the mild to aggressive scale. Very smooth. Seems well-made. No issues with blade alignment, which is usually the case with TTO razors.

I believe I will use it exclusively for the rest of November 2017.

I bought the razor of the OP. He recommended a smaller angle to shave. I also found that a smooth blade works better.
It is an aggressive razor, so pay more attention when using it.

Top Bottom