What's new

Pasted Strop

I'm gonna give this method a try, mostly because I am told it is the proper way to hone some razors. OK...for $25 I'll give it a shot.
My plan is to get a double sided strop, goop up one side of it with green compound, the other with white compound. Use it on an infrequent basis and finish the process on a regular, non-pasted strop.
I have never gone this route before...seems simple enough. Is there anything I need to know?

Go ahead and enjoy it. It's a new thing to do and that's always fun.

In addition to the traditional way you discuss, there is also the pasted balsa strop. Plenty of helpful discussion of that here.

Make sure the strop is taught (better yet, you can also put it on a flat surface) because you can roll the edge. Be very careful not to lift up the spine when stropping as well.

There are a lot of other methods to look into as well.

Balsa strops are very highly looked upon on this board, and there is a reason so many people here vouch for it.

The stuff that came with the strop. Both are small bars; one is green, one is white. Sadly I really don’t know too much about this aspect of honing. I’m a coticule guy.

So which is which? How about a link to the double-sided strop and pastes as described? Hard to give advice without knowing the complete picture.

Subscribed. Have you thought about trying the TI white paste that comes in stick form, @Acmemfg - as mentioned in this post*:

*The entire thread is worth reading.

Thanks for the link. Strikes me as intended for knife-sharpening, but the micron count does appear to put things in the ballpark. I'm mostly familiar with the Solingen/Herold pastes and the T-I alox/diamond crayon mentioned above, the latter working well on a flat suede surface.

The Solingen/Herold red and black crayon set is a nice combination from my experience. Have you considered using a smaller tensioned loom or felt-lined paddle strop in addition to a flat paddle strop? These allow for a little give in stropping, which can be beneficial with hollow-grounds.

Top Bottom