What's new

Pasted strop experiment.

Just thought I'd share a little experiment I've done lately:
I recently took a piece of leather that wasn't quite nice enough to make into a proper strop, and treated it with the saved slurry powder from lapping my coticule.

After honing 4 razors and using the coti treated strop on each one, I will say I'm quite impressed with the effect. Off the hones, it really improves the keenness, and still provides the very forgiving coti type edge I love so much.

I've honed a razor on my Thüringer hone, and even though i generally prefer the edge off my coti, I found that after stropping with the coti treated strop that the edge seemed to have some very good keenness much like my typical Thüringer edges, but it had all the forgiveness typical of my coti honed edges.

I haven't had a chance yet to see how well it works in the long term, but the initial results are very promising. If it came down to needing to use CrOx or this method, I'd vote for the coti treated strop for maintenance.

It is pretty cool. All these little tricks we come up with.

The old timers weren't scared to treat their strops with all kinds of things. I've read about everything from candle-wick ash to beeswax and emery powder. And of course, the ol' rubbing it with a chunk of lead. (No plans to try that one out:lol:)

Even today's products cover a whole range. I've been reading a thread on Coti.be that talks about the chalk on Dovo strops. TI paste has Aluminocyline written on the label (WTHTI), the list seems endless.

Top Bottom