What's new

Palm stropping... and my jaw dropping

At 11 minutes into the video, the magic happens.

Does any of you guys do this?

I have seen videos other than this one of old school Italian barbers palm stropping like that. Not exactly sure if it does any good but sure looks cool!

I palm strop everytime I shave. I think that comes from Mastro Livi. It works for me!.
Whenever I’ve seen Mastro Livi’s barber shave him on the videos (Luigi Migni) he always palm strops. So does Paolo Barrasso on his videos Both those barbers are extremely skilled with straight razors.

I have tried but didn't notice any difference having just stropped on my hanging leather strop. I had heard about it prior to seeing it on Mastro Livi’s YouTube channel, but couldn't work out how you might do it until I saw it in the vid.

Isn't palm stropping all about cleaning the blade? First, you can run water over it or wipe it on a towel. Then palm strop. That last little bit of cleaning by palm stropping cleans the edge. It's a feel thing. And it's quick and easy to keep your hand clean. I always palm strop before I strop on something else. The idea is to keep whatever media you do your real stropping on clean.

My palm stropping doesn't look anything like that. It is reserved to a few passes on the heel of my palm and is mostly done to detect any deflections of the razor's edge after detecting harshness during the shave of my own face.

That said, I would love to see the video sped down considerably to better observe the barber's wrist gesture while stropping on the hollowed tension strop and on the palm.

My palm stropping doesn't look anything like that. It is reserved to a few passes on the heel of my palm and is mostly done to detect any deflections of the razor's edge after detecting harshness during the shave of my own face.

That said, I would love to see the video sped down considerably to better observe the barber's wrist gesture while stropping on the hollowed tension strop and on the palm.

Here is another of him hand stropping on the heel of his hand

Tried it a bit years back, I found that while it certainly did clean the edge - with a bit of a polish, so to speak - it rlly didn't do anything near what actual stropping provides. This seems to be a definite YMMV kind of thing!

Tried it a bit years back, I found that while it certainly did clean the edge - with a bit of a polish, so to speak - it rlly didn't do anything near what actual stropping provides. This seems to be a definite YMMV kind of thing!
There are at least 2 old school Italian barbers who make you tube videos and they both frequently palm strop whilst shaving. They are Paolo Barrasso and Luigi Migni. Must be part of their Italian barbering ritual.

I have seen videos other than this one of old school Italian barbers palm stropping like that. Not exactly sure if it does any good but sure looks cool!

It depends on your palm. If you're into manual labor, your palms will likely be good for palm stropping. If you sit at a keyboard all day, your hands will be soft and not as good for palm stropping.

Top Bottom